9. remembering him

I decide to go to the memorial the following day

I decide to go to the memorial the following day. River agrees to come with me like he said he would. I've never been more grateful for someone's company because I have no idea how I'm going to feel.

River keeps telling me that if I want to see it alone then he doesn't have to interfere with my moment but I shake my head and tell him that I want him there. I don't want it to feel as isolating as it already will.

He offers me a smile and we proceed to the memorial. I'm not sure what to expect but knowing that the community has put something together for him, that's how much he meant to this town. His absence clearly has an effect on the community. They miss him. Me too. So much.

We walk in silence towards the memorial. The notes and flowers and other objects are surrounding a tree, I presume the accident took place around here. I swallow down a breath and I stop short, River is close but he doesn't come too close.

Then I take two brave steps and walk towards the tree. I kneel down by the grass and take the first note that I can see. My eyes scan the words, a child from a school that he worked at. Then another, a parent who miss his selflessness for the community. Another one from a colleague, he'll be dearly missed.

I take my time to read every note and look at every item that has been left to remember him. They've taken their time to come here and leave precious memories of my brother, he meant a lot to them and it's clear how much he helped.

I expect myself to be full of sadness but I'm not. These notes warm my heart that these people got to know Liam like I did, for the amazing person that he is. And I'm so proud that I get to call him a brother.

When I stand up and dust down my knees, River walks to my side. Tears well in my eyes with pride, I'm so proud of the person who he became. Saddened that his life had to be taken away so quickly.

"Hey," he whispers from beside me.

I wipe my eyes before tears fall from them but River has already sensed it. So he wraps an arm around my shoulder and tugs me into his side, the warmth and firmness of his chest hitting mine.

My head rests down onto his shoulder and we stare back at the memorial for a few seconds more. "Thank you for coming with me," I murmur. I'm trying my hardest not to let my voice crack as I speak.

"You don't need to thank me," he says back quietly. "This is something important to you and I want to be there for you."

I turn to look at him because my heart is pounding against my ribcage. What did I do to deserve a friend like him? I've barely been here for three weeks yet River has made me feel so comfortable and so at home that I don't ever want to leave.

"Well I'm grateful for our friendship," I smile through watery eyes. "You have no idea how much it means to me."

River rotates his body and wraps the other arm around my back, forcing my chest to his. I don't know if I'll ever get used to this feeling, how much his embrace warms up my body and allows me to be calm.