47. i love you

I applied for the project manager job and Lacey seemed more excited than I was

I applied for the project manager job and Lacey seemed more excited than I was. She's adamant that I'll get the job but I still need to go through an interview first which she says I'll ace. On Wednesday I come home around six o'clock, I feel my stomach gurgle and I walk to my fridge.

Internally I groan because I forgot to do a food shop and I have barely anything to throw together apart from pasta and a bland sauce at the back of the cupboard. My phone vibrates in my pocket and I retrieve it to find Alex's name across the screen, I feel my lips twitch into a smile instantly.

Alex

Hey, what are you doing tonight?

If you're home I've cooked, do you want to come over?

I almost scream with relief and joy. Alex's cooking and his company? The best combination ever.

River

Running as we speak

I don't bother grabbing any of my shit apart from my keys. I walk straight up to his door and knock, merely thirty seconds after I sent back that text. Alex's door opens and he stands there with a black t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms that are far too big for him.

"Hey," I grin.

"Hi," he smiles. "Come in."

On the way past I press a kiss to his forehead and listen as he shuts the door behind me. I inhale a big breath and almost collapse on the floor at the smell of the beautiful food that's cooking on the stove.

"That smells delicious," I groan and pull off my jacket. "You have no idea how hungry I am."

Alex smiles as he walks by me, his hand sliding across my back before he reaches the kitchen. "I'm a mind-reader, you see? I just knew you'd come home from work and be dying for a good meal."

Why does he have to make that sound sexual? Or maybe I've just missed him.

I join him by the stove and look down at the noodles, chicken, prawns and vegetables all mixed together in the pan. "Stir fry," I state.

Alex laughs gently. "Yeah, stir fry. It's almost ready."

My hands rub together in excitement. "How was your day?" I ask as I lean onto the counter.

"It was okay," he sighs and uses the spatula to push our dinner around the pan. "William is still worried about me, I'm making mistakes here and there. Guess my mind isn't one hundred percent."

I walk up behind him and kiss the back of his head soothingly. "It's going to take time," I reassure him. "But you've been doing so well with your counselling and the homework he's set for you."

Alex hums in agreement. "Yeah but I'm just a bit lost right now."

My eyes flutter shut and I wrap my arms around him gently, being careful of the steaming food in front of us. "You're bound to be, and that's okay. The court date is soon, I bet that's been in the back of your mind."