Epilogue

Six months later

Six months later

Today is the day of the sentencing.

The last month has been tough to say the least. The courtroom daily is enough to send anyone insane but I had to keep strong for Alex and his father, now wasn't a sign to show weakness. It was time for justice.

Alex has been up the last week, unable to sleep in case the jury finds them not guilty.

But there is no way they can be let off with the amount of evidence that has been brought to the room, some making the audience and the jury gasp.

These three fuckers realising that they are going to prison for a long damn time.

I hold Alex's hand and he holds his fathers, with his girlfriend beside him. None of us can take our eyes off the judge as he calls the head jury to stand. "Have you come to a unanimous verdict?"

"Yes, your honour."

"How do you find the defendants?"

There is a slight pause and I don't think Alex is breathing beside me. I give him a squeeze to let him know I'm here but he doesn't glance at me, his eyes are focused on the woman standing with a dark blue blazer.

"Guilty, your honour."

Alex raises his head to the ceiling, tears rolling down his cheeks. His father bundles him into his arms and I let them have this moment, months of waiting and reckless nights all down to this moment of justice.

The room bursts into different reactions, the mothers and fathers of the defendants are crying and sobbing but not the way Alex and Mark are gushing with relief. After a few moments Alex turns to me with watery eyes, I bring him to my chest and tug him under my chin.

I use my hand to smooth out his back as he exhales into my shoulder.

"God, I don't even have any words." He murmurs.

"Then say nothing," I shake my head. "You don't need to say anything at all."

He relaxes into my body and I kiss the top of his head.

The judge sentences the driver to twenty years in prison and the two others in the car to seven years for being an associate in the crime. In a way the UK justice system is fucked, sentences are nearly as long as they should be but at least they got what they deserved and now Alex can sleep peacefully knowing Liam got the outcome he deserves.

After the sentencing I spend some time with Alex, Mark and Natasha. We grab a drink down at a quiet local pub, Alex's tears have now dried up but I can tell he is a bunch of different emotions right now.

I bring a tray of drinks over to the table, Mark thanking me gratefully for buying a round. Alex kisses me on the cheek as I sit down beside him. I raise our drinks, "To Liam."

"To Liam," Mark's eyes focus on mine and he offers me a smile.

"To Liam," Natasha does the same and then clinks her drink with mine.

"To Liam." Alex says finally, all four of our drinks meet in the middle.

We sit in the pub for an hour or so before we part ways, Alex giving his dad the biggest hug and I know how much this day has meant to the pair of them. As Alex says goodbye to Natashsa, Mark pulls me in for a hug too.

"I'm so glad you're a part of our family now, River," he mumbles into my ear. "And everything you've done for Alex. I will never not be grateful for everything you've done for my boy. I'm so pleased he met you, I'm so glad he brought you into our small family."

I hug him tighter and let his words cage around my heart. "I'd take this family over anything else, anyday."

Mark pulls away and I smile at him. "Right," he rasps. "I'll call you soon, Alex."

"Sure," he bows his head. "Get home safe. I love you."

"Same to you both. I love you so much, son."

As we walk down the street towards the train station, I take Alex's hand in mine gently. Rubbing my thumb across his knuckles in slow motions. His eyes are forward and he sighs.

"What are you thinking?" I ask quietly.

"A mixture of things," he admits.

I squeeze his hand. "Care to share?"

He hums. "Just that everything built up for this exact moment and now it's just... done."

"I thought you'd feel like that," I say and lean over to kiss his temple. "So many high emotions and anxiety, now it's over. Do you worry about how you're going to adjust to normal life?"

"Exactly!" He exclaims as if I've read his mind. I just know how his brain works. "That's exactly it."

I nod and glance back at the pavement. "And that's okay," I say with confidence. "It might be hard getting back on your feet after all of this, but with your therapy and starting your new job. You've got so much to look forward to, Alex. So much. This chapter of your life might be closing, the memories of Liam will always stay but that means big and exciting things are waiting for you on the other side."

He glances up at me, those grey eyes now soft. "You think?"

"I know so," I nod and peck his lips gently.

"Thanks for having all this faith in me when I've been slacking lately," his shoulders slump.

"Hey," I press my hand to the bottom of his chin and tilt his gaze to mine. "I will give you all the faith you need until you learn to find your own, until you learn how strong you are. I will be your support system until you need me to be, Alex. You won't feel like this forever, I can promise you."

We stop walking and stand in the middle of the street. "I love you," he whispers as he stares me directly in the eye. "I love you more and more each day and sometimes I have no idea how that's possible because the day before, I'm sure that's my maximum capacity. But then you just stand there and I look at you and I love you ten times harder."

I wrap my hands around his face and lower down a little, a smile covering my lips at his heartfelt words that make butterflies sing in my chest. "I love you more everyday too," I whisper against his lips and give him a long kiss.

Our hearts thump together and I enjoy every second of having Alex in my arms.

"And this is just the start for us," I say, our lips grazing gently.

"Thank you for loving every part of me, even when I couldn't love myself," he says sincerely and it cuts through my heart at the tone of his words. "Even the rough parts."

My lips curl again. "It was inevitable, Alex. You're my soulmate."

Alex's eyes light up and he kisses me hard until we're laughing against one another. The two of us are ready to take on what the rest of the world decides to throw at us. Together.

THE END

Thank you for reading this story!

The series continues with Luca and Declan... swipe to the next chapter for more!❤️