27. precious tent

The next day my dad says he'll pop round to give me the tent for our trip

The next day my dad says he'll pop round to give me the tent for our trip. He said he couldn't get off any time in the week but today suits him and I've got nothing better to do. William shuts the restaurants on Sundays, says that we should be spending it with our loved ones and not working our asses off. I really respect him for that.

My dad used to love going camping, hiking, you name it. That's why he's adamant he has to explain how to put up this tent properly as it doesn't come with instructions, he lost it long ago. Although I'm sure the two brains of me and River could figure out how to pitch a tent, my father doesn't think so.

I take my phone out from my pocket and quickly drop him a text.

Alex: Hey, my dads coming round to drop the tent. Says that he has to show me how to put it up because there are no instructions and 'apparently' we won't know how to do it otherwise.

River: Yikes, sounds like an absolute chore. Shall I come round and witness the demonstration too?

Alex: If you want. My dad is lovely but can sometimes be very overbearing.

River: I'm good with parents.

River: Except my own.

River: haha

I wince at his own joke. At least he can attempt to laugh about it. Acceptance is the first stage of moving on and I know River is beyond acceptance, now he gets on with his life and I truly admire him for that.

Alex: My dad will love you. Be prepared for a million different questions.

River: I've already got myself prepared, don't worry about it.

River: When should I come by?

Alex: Now? He should be here in like 10 mins. Are you busy?

River: Never busy for you.

I'm blushing. How am I fucking blushing when he's halfway down the hall?

I put down the phone and quickly look at myself in the reflection of my living room mirror. I don't usually care about my appearance but ever since we got a little dirty on his sofa last night, all I want to do is impress and I'm not even embarrassed about it.

There is a knock at my door and it must be River, my father would text me to say he was downstairs. I walk across my apartment and open the door, I stare back into River's green eyes and I'm flushing pink all over again.

He drops his gaze down my outfit and he cringes. "Shit, was I supposed to dress a little more formal?"

I glance at his own attire, usual hoodie and jeans with his black converse. I've always liked him like this, comfy but effortlessly cool. Even his dark brown hair is slightly swept back with damp strands.