25. asserting dominance

"Let's go in here," I point to a shop on the high street

River inspects it. "Are they going to sell walking boots? Everywhere we've been just don't sell them."

I nod with confidence. "For sure," I smile and take his hand, dragging him into the shop. "This is a specialist for camping, hiking and everything else."

"Why didn't we come here in the first place?"

A tut escapes my lips. "Are you that upset you're spending a Saturday with me?" I mock hurt and River rolls his eyes playfully, tugging back my hand.

"Of course not," he shakes his head. "I just hate shopping."

I snort unattractively but thank the Lord it was almost silent. "That makes two of us."

"Come on," he beckons his head into the shop.

Our camping trip is coming up far too quickly and none of us have anything apart from a tent and a sleeping bag that my father has offered to bring down in the next few days or whenever he can get off work. But if we want to go on nice walks through the hills and even chance the mountain, we'll need walking boots.

Too bad mine broke a few summers ago when me and Liam went to Snowdon to climb the mountain. I am the least athletic person in the world but there is something about exploring parts of the UK and the world that I love, with the beautiful scenery and even better company, what is there to hate apart from burning calves the next day.

When we reach the display of shoes, I'm relieved to find walking boots and some in the sale rack. "What about these?" River points to a brown pair with ugly green lining. I know walking boots aren't attractive but these are offensively hideous.

I quirk a brow at him. "You think I should get those?"

River leans back and crosses his arms, inspecting the shoes that need burning. "They're alright."

My eyes keep focused on his, staring in an expression of astonishment. "I know I said I was uncool and nerdy but this is just crossing the line."

He flashes me a grin before laughing loudly. "Who said you were uncool?"

"I did but I know better not to buy those shoes."

"Alright, alright," he's still chuckling. "What about these?"

When he points to a grey and black pair, they're suitably better than the last. Not as chunky and certainly not as ugly. "They're thirty percent off," I shrug with agreement. "Shall we try them on?"

River's green eyes fixate on mine. "Are we going to buy the same pair of shoes? Are we that couple already?"

His words strike my heart because when he says couple, I know he doesn't mean couple. We're just dating and we enjoy each other's company, occasionally we like to kiss and other times we have dinner together. I'm not sure if that equates to being a couple but I presume he means that we'll look like a right pair together, I'm not opposed to the idea at all.