20. missed you

By the end of the week I could barely think using my own brain

By the end of the week I could barely think using my own brain. Constantly working, never taking a break. The lead up to kids going back to school is always stupidly busy but it needs to be done, we've been given a massive amount of funding and we have to use it wisely.

I don't even really remember getting home most nights, or eating because I have been so exhausted that the first thing I want to do is fall face first into my bed and get as much sleep as I can.

But tonight is a Friday and even though I'm home a little earlier than usual, I'm dead because I feel overworked. It's hard because I love my job, I love working with kids and helping them find their futures but sometimes it's not enough when I feel like this.

Charity work is hard, especially when the whole thing is severely underfunded and understaffed.

As I push my way into the foyer of my apartment building, my eyes fall upon Alex who is standing by his postal locker. He's trying to juggle three parcels between his hands, along with a water bottle and his backpack slung over his shoulder.

"Fucking thing," he curses and I find myself smiling at the sight of him.

Even his expression as it's crushed into annoyance, I've never seen him like this but it's damn right adorable. I haven't seen him since we kissed, that feels like a lifetime ago now but due to work, any social life has been off limits. With everyone.

"Need some help with that?"

Alex whips his head over his shoulder at my voice, eyes snapping to mine. For a moment he seems stunned but then I offer him a smile as I step closer. "Yeah," he rasps, like he's seen a ghost. "Thanks."

I lean my arm forward and take the top two parcels between my hands, his grey eyes are still watching me like a hawk. Then those pink lips part and I take one glance at them to be instantly reminded of the other day.

Those lips that felt as soft as I thought they'd be.

"How have you been?" I ask as Alex shuts his locker and we proceed to the stairs.

He clears his throat quietly. "So-so."

I frown at him. "So-so? What's been going on?"

"Nothing," Alex shakes. "Weeks just been a bit boring, that's all."

Inside I'm wincing. I remember our texts from the other night. He thought I was avoiding him because of our kiss but in fact I wanted to see him, my job says otherwise.

"I'm sorry that I've not been around more," I admit as we reach our floor. "This time of year is just ridiculous. I've not seen anyone but my bed."

Alex offers me an understanding smile. "It's okay," he shakes off. "I've been busy sorting out Liam's memorial anyway."

My eyebrows shoot up. "You've been going back there?"

He nods. "Yeah. I'm trying to fix it. It won't look like how it did but I want to do something for him. Some people have already come by to leave flowers and notes again, it's been nice to read them over"