16. murder case

It takes me a while to get Alex home, seeing the destruction to his brother's memorial is only making things worse

It takes me a while to get Alex home, seeing the destruction to his brother's memorial is only making things worse. Right now he's distraught, that's obvious. No one wants to see something like this. But right now I have no idea what to do to make it better except to be there for him.

I can't believe someone could be so cruel and malicious to do this to an already grieving family. And I have no idea what the words could be about. I know Liam was very dedicated to his work, motivated to help this town. But I know that some people didn't always see eye to eye with him because he's very strong headed and wanted things done his way. Though I didn't think people despised him like this.

We slowly walk back to our apartments, my arm is wrapped around his shoulder, tugging him into my side as he weeps silently. He's run out of tears and now he's still trying to catch his breath. When we reach our foyer he's deathly silent and I fear what's going on in his head right now.

I walk straight past my door and towards his instead. Alex fishes out his keys from his pocket, his eyes laying firmly on the wall in front of him. There is nothing left in them, no light, no life. Nothing. I begin to panic but I know I need to keep strong for him, he needs someone more than anything right now.

Being alone could make him spiral. I don't want a repeat of when he came to me that day. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about what he said, the pain and defeat in his voice. Alex has been doing so well with his own grief, with attempting to move on but I get sometimes he's going to have drawbacks. It's not going to be a simple ride. But this... this just destroys all the progress he's made.

Once Alex gets out his keys and we walk into his apartment, I don't say anything. I shut the door behind me and step in. Alex walks straight to the sofa and sits down, eyes heavy and sore.

I don't even give him the chance to allow me to leave because I refuse to ask him if he wants me to stay. He's not in any fit state to be alone and I'd be the worst friend to leave him.

When I perch down on the sofa beside him, it's like he doesn't even notice that I'm here.

"Alex," I whisper carefully. He doesn't look, he doesn't flinch. So instead I slide a hand over his shoulders and tug his body back into mine. I know for a fact that human contact can heal a broken heart. "It's okay."

He sniffles and rests his head into my shoulder. "I don't understand," he whimpers so quietly that I barely hear him. "I don't understand why they would do this."

I inhale slowly and clutch him tighter. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," Alex hiccups and then raises his head, staring back at me with his bloodshot eyes. "How could it be your fault?"

My heart cracks at his sheer devastation. "I just don't want to see you like this. I'm sorry that someone has done this to you, to your father, to your family. It's not like our town at all and I'm sorry. You came here to get closer to him, to experience our community power and yet something as disgusting as this happens."