42. called out

Considering I haven't seen or spoken to Alex in a few weeks, I'm trying to keep optimistic

Considering I haven't seen or spoken to Alex in a few weeks, I'm trying to keep optimistic. After my conversation with Lacey, I've been trying my hardest to focus on work and projects for the children–it's been a good distraction that even my manager is impressed with the ideas I've come up with.

Yesterday I saw a news article explaining that the rumours about Liam are believed to be false and that it was a jealous rage that prompted the attack and that it was a mistake that was made at the beginning.

Liam was never a homewrecker. They just wanted everyone to see him in a bad light.

And this is the exact reason I didn't want to tell Alex in case it was absolute bullshit but the articles and the rumours came out first, there wasn't anything I could do to stop it. But I pray that Alex is doing okay with the new information, each of the three arrested are cracking a little bit more everyday.

Trying their hardest to get a lesser sentence if they snitch on each other.

It's laughable really and I'm glad they're going to get the punishments they deserve.

I head back to the office after a project session with a local boys school–no doubt they were talking about the new information spread about Liam. But what intrigued me the most was the fact they all expressed their gratitude for him, how much they miss him and that he helped change the school so that people would listen to them.

They're not bad kids but some people refuse to give teachers and adults the time of day and they're a little bit cheeky but that's why they loved Liam because he made them feel seen. In a community where boys in that school are doomed because they're deemed as rude and bad, Liam changed all of that. He helped them with aspirations, goals and the future. He did the most for those children.

That's when it sparks an idea in my mind.

When I stroll into the office later that afternoon, I find a group of people gossiping in the corner. Lillian and George with another two people. My eyes roll at their hushed tones and I bet any money they're gossiping about Liam.

I frown when I have a quick flashback to the time we all sat together and George said that Liam tried to hit up his girlfriend–part of me doesn't even believe someone like him could find themselves a girlfriend. But George has always had it out for Liam, always.

Liam has been in a league of his own and when he started approaching schools and youth clubs himself, he took away some of our projects. No doubt he interfered with one of George's to get him so damn angry for nothing.

Curiosity gets the better of me and I find myself strolling over to the group. Lillian looks up first and catches my eye, she smiles and they all turn silent. None of them know I was dating Alex, if they even really know he's Liam's brother.

"What are you guys talking about?"

Lillian shrugs. "Just the news."

"About Liam?" I challenge.