33. surprise, surprise

Today was stupidly long

Today was stupidly long. Abnormally long.

I couldn't wait for it to be over. William was rushed off his feet in the restaurant, with barely any staff in today because of this sickness bug that has been going around. I've never been more pleased than to see my front door. Oh how I will fall first into bed and let my sheets swallow me whole.

I have dreamt of this the second I got to work. Now it's finally here. Hallelujah.

My keys jangle as I twist them in the lock, throwing open my apartment door. I step forward and glance down at a folded piece of paper that lays on the ground. I furrow my brows and bend my knees to grab it.

I flick it open with my thumb and drag my gaze over the words.

Alex,

I hope you had a good day at work. I hope you're not too tired for what I'm asking of you but I want to take a little trip down memory lane. If you're not smiling already, I hope this makes you.

So you are currently where I met you for the first (second or possibly third) time. Our homes. A place that we have found safety and comfort in together. You've already completed the first part of the task!

Now head over to the place where I introduced you to my friends and you became their favourite person.

River

My heart warms inside my chest at the sight of River's handwriting. It's a little messy but perfect for him–rough around the edges but completely meaningful. I dump down my bag and reach for a jacket because now the nights have begun to get a little chilly.

I head outside of the building, towards Chessman's because that is where I learnt of Luca and Demi, Troy and Mason. The countless times Luca tried to give me a free coffee, Demi has given me the lowdown of gossip. A place where they all feel safe. Their hangout–our hangout.

As I reach the cosy cafe, I peek my head through the window. Luca is alone and clearing up. I press my hand to the door and step inside, the warmth swarming me on this fine evening.

His blonde hair sweeps across his head as he turns his attention to me, eyes lighting up as the bell above me rings. "Ah, Alex," he grins, removing the damp rag from one of the coffee tables. "Finally. I've been waiting ages for you."

"Sorry," I shake my head slowly. "I had a long day of work and–"

Luca waves a hand in my direction. "It doesn't matter," he digs a hand into his pocket and pulls out a letter. "This is for you."

I glance from his genuine homely smile to the envelope in his hands. "Thanks, Luca."

"Who am I to stand in the way of true love?"

My cheeks heat viciously. Love. Love? What a strong word. A word I didn't even really know I could describe in the past.

I clear my throat as Luca beams at me. "Love is a little much," I say under a hushed breath.