45. first counselling

I managed to find grief counselling pretty quickly through the help of River and my father

I managed to find grief counselling pretty quickly through the help of River and my father. I know I was told that I should consider going to therapy when Liam died but I didn't want to do anything but lay in my bed.

Now I realise how important it is for my mental stability now.

Liam might have passed away almost ten months ago but that doesn't mean I'm too late to get counselling for my grief. If anything I'm proud of myself for realising that I still need help and not everything is rainbows and daisies when you meet someone who changes your life.

Yes, River makes me happy. But if you take River out of the equation, I'm just a hot mess of sadness and utter denial. I can't bear the idea of not being with him and I gave him the choice to give me time if he'd rather not endure this process but he refused.

He said he would never let me go through this alone and it has me falling for him all over again. The guy that saved my life, the guy that gave me a purpose, the guy that I want to spend the rest of my life with.

That's why I know I need to get help and I need to be brave enough to do it.

After my first session I head over to Chessman's in the afternoon. River already texted me to say that he's there, so I swing by before heading home. The bell above my head rings and I find River's jade green eyes instantly.

"Hey," he smiles, pushing up from the chair and heading towards me. "How was your counselling?"

His arms wrap me up in his body and I have missed his warmth, his comfort. I press my face into the crook of his neck and nod, inhaling his soft scent. "It was okay," I admit. "We can talk about it later."

River hums and pulls away, inspecting my face. "You okay?"

I nod. "Yeah," I flash him a small smile. "Better than I expected."

He returns a smile and I walk towards the counter where Luca greets me, instantly making me a coffee without caffeine in it. Demi then walks out of the backroom muttering about a spillage or something, her eyes land on mine and she drops the box she's holding onto the floor.

Luca curses at her as the plastic lids roll across the wooden flooring. "Alex," Demi says brightly as she loops the counter. She opens her arm and I hug her back. "How are you?"

"I'm okay," I breathe out, her curly hair tickling my face.

When she pulls away, she takes my shoulders in her palms and a wash of guilt crosses her face. "Alex, I'm so sorry about everything. I hate that I upset you and I'm sorry."

My head shakes slowly. "It's okay, Demi." I reassure her. "I was in a bad place and I was being very hypersensitive. I know you're sorry, I'm sorry for causing a scene here."

Demi waves a hand. "Don't be," she says seriously. "Mason is the one who should be apologising for that, not you."

River takes my hand as Luca hands me my drink across the counter. I perch in the chair beside River and take a sip of my cool drink, dampening my mouth with its burst of flavour. Demi perches on the arm of my chair and checks her watch. "Troy should be here any second now."