13. don't cry

I don't know how long I spent in the bathroom, but long enough to stop myself from panicking with a party full of people outside

I don't know how long I spent in the bathroom, but long enough to stop myself from panicking with a party full of people outside. I'll never live this down. I have to get out, I have to go home and crawl into my bed and let it out before I do it here and embarrass myself for the rest of my life.

A loud knock at the door startles me and I jump out of my skin, goosebumps covering me. I stare back at myself in the mirror quickly, ignoring my red eyes and flushed skin. Hopefully people will just look at me and think I'm drunk, most people here are.

I should be able to fit in.

"Hurry up!" A voice calls from the other side of the bathroom.

My lungs take a deep breath and I pull myself away from the sink reluctantly. If I dart for the front door, I should be able to make my escape without dragging too much attention to myself. Not that anyone cares I'm here anyway.

I press down on the door handle and ignore the person standing in the doorway, I push my way past them and keep my eyes low. As I slowly weave in and out of River's friends, I can see the bottom of the door insight.

Just as I raise my hand to touch the handle, something grabs my wrist gently and tugs me back into the room.

"Alex," River's voice says softly over the music.

Fuck. Fuck. Just say you're not feeling very well. That you need to go home.

River ducks his head when I don't look at him, he buckles his knees and glances at my face as I attempt to hide. I make the mistake of catching his gaze and his expression falls instantly. "What's the matter? I've been looking everywhere for you."

I shake my head and straighten my spine. "Nothing. I just–" I cut myself off because my throat clenches pathetically. "I should go."

"What's happened?"

My eyes squeeze shut at the care in his voice but I feel sick to my stomach. I open my mouth to speak but before I get the chance, River tightens his grip on my wrist and pulls me away to what I presume is his bedroom. It's quiet in here when he shuts the door and suddenly my thoughts begin to invade my mind.

"Alex," he steps closer as I've pulled away from his grip. "You can tell me if something is wrong."

I stare up into his concerned eyes, is he really concerned? I'm so confused.

My body turns to the wall and I part my lips, they tremble softly before I decide to come out with it. It'll eat me alive otherwise and I'll lay in bed feeling like the pathetic person I am.

"Did you tell your sister about me?"

River's brows crease and he moves closer. "Tell her what?"

"That I wanted to kill myself."

The words are raw and hurtful as I say them. I hate saying them but I don't care about being discreet with how I feel. His eyes widen and then they soften instantly, a flash of something moves across his gaze. "No, of course I didn't."