46. back together

"River," Lacey calls across the office floor

"River," Lacey calls across the office floor. I peek my head up from the computer and place down my pen. "Can I see you in my office please?"

I nod and stand from my chair, walking towards her as she holds the door open to me. "Thanks," I smile before sliding inside. The door shuts behind me and she loops behind her desk, sitting on her beaten leather chair.

"Sit," she orders and I follow.

"What did you need me for?"

Lacey entwines her fingers together and places them on top of her notebook, she beams back at me. "There is a new positioning opening," she starts. "For a new project manager. After everything you've created and made happen these last few weeks, I've been blown away by your efforts and hard work to put this together."

I twist my head slowly but keep quiet.

"I think you should apply for the role," she says confidently. "You've shown great determination and we need someone like you to help manage more of the projects. I've been talking with the other managers, they believe you'd be amazing for this role and bring much to the charity."

My lips part and I inhale a breath. This is not what I was expecting and now I can't stop the smile that begins to form on my face. "Really? Wow."

"You've really impressed us, River and we want nothing more than for you to showcase your skills as a new manager."

I clear my throat and lean forward. "I'd love to take a look at the job spec," I say, trying to ignore my thrashing heart.

Lacey nods. "Of course, I'll email it over to you. But River, if you apply, you have a very strong chance at getting the job. We wanted to offer it inside the charity first before posting it online for anyone to apply for."

"Thanks Lacey," I find myself grinning. "I'll definitely take a look and consider it."

"Great," she replicates my smile. "How's the next project coming along?"

I hum as I stand from the chair. "Yeah, well. Lillian is helping by reaching out to different inclusive groups of people, it's going to be an exciting one for sure."

Lacey reshuffles some papers on her desk. "Glad to hear it and I can't wait to see."

As I exit her office, I make my way back to my desk with a heavy amount of pride in my chest. I grab my phone and send a group text to Alex, Luca, Troy and Demi.

River: Shall we go out tonight? I think we should celebrate

Demi: What are we celebrating?

River: Being back together obviously

Luca: I'm broke

River: First round on me then