43. community art

Two weeks pass of the same shit

Two weeks pass of the same shit. Work, eat, sleep. Day in, day out.

I've seen Luca a fair bit at the cafe, making him fill me in on whatever is going on in his life to take my mind off my own. If anything he's calmed down a lot and is focusing on himself which I'm pleased–it's been a long time coming.

Demi has been there a few times and I decided not to carry the grudge over and be petty with her. I gathered that Demi didn't know for long but River did. Although I don't want to think about it anymore, it's done nothing but make my shoulders feel heavier.

William gives me extra shifts when I ask for them, needing to be out of the house more than I realise.

I've seen River on and off. We're bound to, we live in the same apartment building. He walked by when I was collecting my mail, he looked at me and smiled and did nothing more. The greeting felt distant but I have to remember I'm the one who said our relationship was a mistake.

I remember cursing to myself when he left because I have this disease where I say things I don't mean. I speak irrationally and not logically and I hate myself for it.

Then I saw him again as we left our apartments at the same time, heading for work in the morning. This time he said hello and I returned the favour. He didn't look anywhere near as tired and deflated as he looked when he walked into the cafe, he seems to be... okay.

Yet I still feel like a bag of shit.

Deep down I know I should just pluck up the courage and knock on his door because I do miss him, that wasn't a lie. But with everything going on and the trial due to start soon, I don't know if I can handle all of these overwhelming emotions.

I don't know why I'm my own worst enemy right now because my dad's words keep running circles around my head. Why am I punishing myself by punishing River?

It's an endless cycle of heartbreak and I could put a stop to all of this. But I'm stupidly making it worse by distancing myself, that darkness that invades my mind is consuming me and isolating me from what makes me happy because I think I deserve sadness.

When I get home later that evening after covering a shift, I press my key into my mailbox down in the foyer and dig out the letters I refused to collect earlier in the week. Bank statement, NHS letter and a small piece of paper with decorative writing on it.

The words instantly draw me in as soon as I spot my brother's name

In Memory of Liam King.

To celebrate the great life of Liam and everything he brought to this town for the children, for the parents, for the teachers, for everyone. We wish to invite you to a special performance led by the children of Dashfield in honour of his memory.

Saturday 4PM at the Dashfield Common.

My eyebrows furrow at the words and I glance over both shoulders, only to find myself alone. They're putting on a performance for him? My heart races in my chest, eyes pricking with tears at the thought of people coming together to celebrate what he did for this town.