21. dates and trust

TW: mention/ideation of self-harm

"Where are we going?" I laugh hesitantly as River guides me down a back alley that I've never seen.

To be honest I've not seen many back alleys since moving here, so to me they all look dodgy and grungy. Even in summer light.

River glances at me over his shoulder, smile intact and a playful gleam in his eye. "You'll see," he shakes his head. "Don't be so impatient."

I resist the urge to roll my eyes. I can't even really say that I hate surprises because no one has really planned something out for me like this. On birthdays dad would usually always ask us what we want, what sort of party we'd want as kids. Nothing was really a surprise growing up and this is my second date–but we're not putting labels on it–so I haven't had much time to be surprised.

"I'm not sure if I like this," I admit, twisting my hands together in front of me.

River exhales a laugh. "Come on, don't be cliche. I'm not going to kidnap you on our first outing," he slows down to walk beside me. "Maybe the second."

I push his shoulder and his laughter echoes off the walls. "I'm being serious. Surprises make me anxious."

He huffs out a sigh and lands his arm over my shoulder. "It'll be fun. Promise."

"And we couldn't have just gone for dinner?"

River scoffs so loudly that he pulls his arm away from my body. "Dinner?" He recoils. "You think I would be that fucking boring to take you to dinner? I'm offended."

I blink at his tone but I know he's just joking around. "Luca took me to dinner."

"Yeah... because Luca doesn't know how to woo his dates."

My throat clenches at his words. "I thought we weren't putting labels on it."

River turns to me as we stop outside a door with a large sign that says 'ENTITY ESCAPE'. "You're right," he nods his head slowly. "But I know we both want it to be one, even if things will be taken slow between us."

His eyes linger on mine for a few moments and it warms my heart, to be thought about, to be treated. Then his finger raises to press the doorbell of this unknown door, I stare at the sign again and tilt my head.

"Escape?"

River does nothing but grin in response. "You'll see."

❖ ❖ ❖

"Holy crap," I chuckle as we're shown out of the building over an hour later. "I've never known those things existed."

River shoves his hands into his pockets. "There is always a first time for everything."

"When did you discover escape rooms?"

"Well I've always liked the idea of working things out, being strategic and working together as a group. Daisy and I did a few a couple years ago, we do them with our youth groups and sometimes for work parties. I find them intriguing, and they have you thinking about them for days." He explains.