26. first time

On Wednesday I find myself at the office in the afternoon

On Wednesday I find myself at the office in the afternoon. The project we had planned tonight fell through because the building which we had chosen to go-karting has now got a leak and they can't risk people getting electrocuted whilst driving around mini karts.

I know the children will be disappointed but part of me is relieved. It's only half way through the week and I am absolutely exhausted.

As I sit on my makeshift desk–we're technically desk hopping for the foreseeable future because we don't have enough funding to get our own desks. I begin to write down some new projects for next week, we have a meeting tomorrow and I'm meant to be presenting with my new project options.

I press the pen to my lip and stare across the office and out the window.

"All I'm saying is that maybe he had it coming," I hear a voice on the desks over. I lean up from my chair subtly and peer at the three people sitting around in a circle. That's when I spot George and two other guys who I haven't spent that much time working with in the past. "He wasn't an angel like everyone thought he was. He was using what he was doing in the community to cover up the fact that he was a disgusting human being inside."

My heart pangs as I lower my eyes, pretending not to be interested but I keep my ears pricked.

"See this is what I'm saying," George exclaims loudly. "He was a fucking home-wrecker. Do you know it gets worse? Apparently he was sleeping around with this woman who had two kids and a husband. Destroyed their family and left them in bits. Sounds like he did it for fun, ruining other peoples lives."

I find myself scowling down at the piece of paper in front of me.

"What's going on with the investigation?"

George huffs out a sigh. "Fuck knows. Part of me wants them to get away with it. He caused so much distress and hurt across families and people he didn't even remotely care about. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone's partner he cheated with, getting their revenge."

"I never liked him," one of the others say.

"Me either." Mutters the third.

George snorts. "I don't think anyone that worked with him did. Only his little community of followers and his dad, and his brother."

My heart twitches at the mention of Alex.

"Brother? I didn't know he had a brother."

I'm sure my blood has run cold as I stare blankly down at my paper, hoping that they don't start bringing him up. Alex is nothing like Liam, absolutely nothing like the brush they've painted him with.

"Yeah, I saw pictures online of him at the funeral and stuff."

"I wonder if he condoned his brother's shitty behaviour as much as he grieved for him."