Chapter 21 - Stabbed

tw; gore

i'll finish this chapter before 8:00 pm est today

spoiler alert next chap

"Mi-Mizuki . . ." Ena sighed, bleary eyed and disoriented. Her eyes widened st the sight of her friend.

There was blood.

So.

Much.

Blood.

It all over them, the pile of clothes she was lying in, the carpet, the walls, the floor.

Everywhere.

Why is there blood? What's going on? Where the fuck is it coming from? If this is their sekai, are they bleeding? Why is Mizuki bleeding? Are they dead? What happened?

She tried to get up but was still too weak.

"WHY ARE YOU BLEEDING?!! ARE YOU OKAY? ANSWER ME. MIZUKI!!"

She repeated their name over and over, trying to get their "corpse" to wake up.

"Mizuki . . . . . . Mizuki . . . please,"

They made a soft, horrifically horrifying choking noise, spilling more blood onto Enanan's lap.

They're alive.

An overwhelming sensation of relief filled her.

Ena reached for their trembling hands, twining their fingers together and trying to steady them, yet failing somewhat miserably.

The hot, red liquid gushed down their chin and neck, settling in ugly pool on their chest.

After several scary fits of coughing up more blood, Mizuki managed to whisper hoarsely, "I'm fine. I'll be fine. Go home, Ena,"

"No, you're not. And I'm staying right here until you recover from whatever it is that you did. Tell me what happened. But only if you're up for it."

So they did. Even though they could barely speak.

Every last detail.

Even Amia's death, and how it was their fault.

"Don't blame yourself, Mizuki. You were trying to save me. And it's not like Amia has a family who will miss them when they don't come home."

Ena jumped. "Akito! He must be so worried about me! I have to get home!"

"It's been only fourteen minutes since you fell asleep. I altered time so that no one would miss us," they admitted, pulling Ena back down to sit on the pile of fabric.

She touched her neck tentatively, feeling the smooth drawings marked on her skin. Her own skin didn't feel like hers; as if it belonged to someone else.

"So . . . I'm stuck with this now?"

"Yes . . . I'm sorry."

"Don't be. You know how many new followers I could get after posting this Instagram? It'll look exactly like I got neck tattoos! And it means a lot to me since you sorta drew these, Mizuki . . ." Ena replied, hands brushing over their own neck.

Mizuki had a strange look on their face and refused to meet Ena's steely gaze. But when they spoke, all traces of that enigmatic emotion were gone.

They were such hopeless can-basket.

But that didn't mean that Ena would give up on them.

All it meant was that she would try even harder to save them from themselves.

Words: 498