Chapter 6

I quickly sent a small prayer up and climbed out of my car. I had waited a few minutes until it calmed down. It was just drizzling now, so I took that as the perfect time to enter the 911 center without having to get soaked again.
I, certainly would look like a wet poodle.

The building is smaller than the one back home. It's also right next to the police station, makes me feel a little safe to leave and be able to walk to my car safely.

I double-check to make sure that I locked my car before heading inside. I probably shouldn't have eaten this morning. I'm too nervous. My stomach feels like butterflies are flying around it, and it's not as pleasant as some would think. It's making me nauseous.

I pull open the door and I see a guy typing away. They don't keep the 911 operators in the main room, they have their office so that visitors do not disturb them. This guy must be the secretary.

Plastering a small smile on my face, I head towards him. He is either too busy or being rude and doesn't even bother to notice that I'm walking up towards him.

Good thing I don't have a gun or something.

I come to a stop in front of his desk and waited patiently. Looking around the room, I see the wall of the Operator of the month. I was an operator of the month several times back in my hometown.

One call in particular I can never forget. A teenager girl had called 911 one night, and I was on duty. I have never had to deal with a kidnapped before and was pretty shaken up at first. The kidnapper didn't take her phone from her, which was stupid of him, but great news for the poor girl. She didn't carry it in her pants pocket. No, she kept it in her bra.

Smart girl.

She came from a lower-class family and didn't have a contract phone, so we couldn't trace it. She had a pre-paid phone brought from Walmart; I think. I had to keep her calm, and it wasn't easy. She was screaming and crying as she tried to explain her situation to me.

Once we found out we were unable to trace her phone, I had her feel around the floor of the trunk. The man had cleaned it out, so she had little to work with, but I had seen a movie where this girl had used her feet to kick out a taillight. I made her to that.

It had taken her several tries, and her cries of frustration had moved me to tears.

Yet she managed to pull it off.

The right taillight shattered, and I made her wave her hand through the gap. Her wrist ached from the snug fit, but she had no other option. She had no other way for us to find her but that. Motorists trailing the behind the vehicle that was carrying the kidnapped girl had begun calling police.

The asshole who kidnapped her is now sitting in jail after we located him and rushed her to the hospital.

For everyone's sake, I pray he never gets out of prison.

That night when I finally laid my head down on my pillow I cried. Cried for the girl who almost was never seen again. The police questioned the man that kidnapped her and he told him what his plans for her were. It was disgusting is all I will say.

The man behind the counter still didn't look up. I would rather not be late for my interview, all because he didn't pay awareness to the front door.

I raised my left hand and gently knocked on the counter to get his attention. “ Hi, I'm Avery Scallan. I'm here for an interview with a Mr. Whitlock.”

The now startled man jerked his green eyes towards me and quickly took his ear buds out.

That would explain why he didn't hear me walk up. I guess that's a better reason than him being rude.