Chapter 12

I'm back at my house a little while later. I was cautious when I entered. Turned the key, poked my head inside to make sure I didn't hear any footsteps, and then locked the door behind me.
I guess Vickie spread the word around the block because as soon as I drove my car onto the street; I had eyes on me. I sensed eyes on me when I parked my car, and I felt eyes on me when I had gotten out of my car.

I didn't let that bother me though. I had just unlocked my door, did my little peeking and came inside. I wasn't inside for five minutes when there was a knock on my door. At first, it startled me. Nobody should come to visit me.

I had gone to unlock my door, with shaking fingers might I add, and swung my door open to reveal a woman and two children standing on the other side.

“Hello. Welcome to our neighborhood. I baked you some muffins and my kids wanted to make you a welcome sign” The lady had spoken softly, keeping a hand on her youngest son.

I expected this, honestly. Small towns. People need to check you out, want to see what you're about. I didn't mind, though.

“Yes. Hi. I'm Avery” I replied, smiled and gently took the basket of muffins from her hands.

“We live across the street. Three houses down. Vickie told us what had happened last night, and we'll I just wanted to say if you need anything, my doors always open"

Of course Vickie did.

“Thank you, that's very kind of you. What's your name?” I asked softly, before sending both her sons a little smile.

“I'm Sarah. My boys here are Nick and Chris” she smiled and tapped each boy on the head as she added their names.

“Awesome” I responded.

That had happened about fifteen minutes ago. I am now sitting on my barstool, enjoying my much-needed cup of coffee.

I had got pretty tired and decided to take a nap. It's daylight outside, and whoever came into my house last night wouldn't dare come in broad sunshine.

That I was convinced.

I just hope I was correct, though.

I finished my coffee, changed out of my sundress to an old Christmas pajama set, and didn't even bother to lie right in my bed. I laid backwards on my bed, feet towards the headboard, and head towards the door. That way, maybe I'd be able to hear better.

I slept for hours. Good thing I set my alarm because it is now five thirty. I need to get dressed and check out the address that Anna sent me. To make sure I'd have enough time to get there before six thirty. I don't want to make a poor impression on her parents.

She had her momma was strict about time and I understand that. My grandma was the same way. She used to cook brunch on Sundays; it was a standing invite. We had to be there for ten and brunch was always and I mean consistently served right at ten thirty.

I didn't get enough hours of sleep to make up for not sleeping at all last night. I was more tired than I was when I had fallen asleep.

Thirty minutes later, I'm sitting in my car in Anna's parent's driveway checking over my makeup and hair. I shot her a text, letting her know I was pulling up. I was a little nervous. I want her parents to like me.

I could really use a friend.

Sighing loudly, I climbed out of my car and headed for the front door. The house was nice. Small. Perfect for an older couple who I assume lived alone. It was a modest brick home, windows painted a dark red color, and the door matched.

It was cute.

I put my big girl panties on, raised my hand and knocked softly on the door. For a second when no one responded, I thought maybe I knocked a little too softly, but then I heard Anna's sweet voice calling out.