Chapter 30

An hour later, I'm sitting in the Cedrics truck, parked in front of my house. We have been sitting here for what felt like ten minutes. Cedric is making no move to get out of the truck, just giving me the time I need to put my big girl panties on.

“Babe. I know you're scared, but we need to be quick.” Cedric reminded me.

“You're right," I whispered, opened the passenger door, and jumped out, chest growing tight with fear.

What if whoever it is is watching me?

“Avery. I'm with you. Nobody is going to hurt you. Do you understand? I won't allow it. He would have to go through me to do it.” Cedric growled, walked up behind me, and pulled me into his chest. “Let's get you inside and get this done.”

I didn't reply to him. I let him guide me towards my house, over my steps, and to my front door.

“Got your key?” He whispered, giving me a supportive smile.

“Yeah.” I whispered, dug inside my pants, and handed him the key.

“I'm right here.” He reminded me before turning to unlock the door, but his back straightened as he inspected the door. “Did you lock your door before leaving?”

“Of course. I always do.” I informed him. I always lock my house. I watch far too many crime shows to ever leave my house unlocked, or my windows, for that matter. “Why?” I asked, worried. Why did he ask me that?

“It's already unlocked.” He growled, pulled out his gun that I didn't even know he was hiding behind his back, and pulled me behind him. “Stay behind me.”

Stay behind him?

Is he serious?

We can't go in there.

“Cedric, maybe we should wait for the cops.” I whispered, scared that whoever broke into my house could still be in there.

“Babe, I am a cop. Hang on.” He grunted and pulled out his phone, bringing it to his ear. “Lucas, I need you at Avery's house now. It's been broken into.” He looked at me right before opening the door slowly. “Stay behind me and do whatever I tell you to do. No attitude.”

“Okay.” I groaned, terrified.

“Maybe I should bring you back to the truck. You're scared-” He turned us around, but I dug my feet against the rug in front of my door.

“No. I'm not leaving you. I don't want to be alone. What if his watching?” I cried, fear gripping me tight like a cocoon.

“Okay, okay, babe. Just remember what I said.” He growled before taking a step inside my broken into home.

He slowly walked us through my living room and kitchen. He kept asking me if I had seen anything out of place and my answer was no every time. Possibly, I forgot to lock up. Nothing looked missing. My house hasn't been trashed.

We finally made it into my bedroom, and my legs almost gave out when I saw the state of my bedroom. My bed looked like it had been slept in. I always, and I mean always, make my bed after getting up. My grandma taught me that. She forced me to make my bed when I was little, and now the habit just sticks with me.

“Cedric.” I whined, nails digging hard into his back. “My bed-” I whispered but couldn't find the word's, I was too scared.

“Babe what? What's wrong with it?” He asked gently, trying to pry my body from behind me so that he could look me in the face. “You have to tell me, so I know what's wrong.”

“My bed. It's been messed up. I always make it. I made it before leaving my house. I made it.” I shouted, feeling myself having a panic attack, pain shooting across my chest.