Chapter 13

It had been almost a week, six days to be exact, since I had gone over to Anna's parent's house to eat tacos. She and I have grown a bit close the last few days. She works as a secretary for some rich man.
I can't remember his name right currently, but her hours are sometimes long.

I have been trying to get my sleep schedule straight before I start my new job, which is tomorrow morning. I'm excited and I'm nervous.

Anna and I talk on the phone every night for about an hour. Telling each other stories of our childhood. She had begged me to go out to the Sleepy Sheep after devouring those Tacos, but after dealing with her brother and what he had said, I wasn't exactly in the mood to party.

After eating I thanked Helen and Glenn, which I learned was Anna and Cedric's dad's name. They were extremely nice, and both told me I was invited over anytime.

Nothing suspicious has happened the past several days, leading me to conclude that maybe Cedric was right. Possibly nobody broke in.

Maybe I really was having a nightmare, and I just woke up and thought it was real.

I have baked nothing this week. My fingers are itching to roll some dough, but I have been trying not to eat too many sweets because sugar really does make me hyper and I won't be able to fall asleep at a decent time.

After showering and eating the baked chicken I had made, I went into my bedroom for the night. I'm currently laying in bed, popcorn in my lap, while watching a movie on the Lifetime channel and texting Anna.

My phone dings and I look down, mouth full of popcorn, and read over Anna's text. She is currently in a rage because of her brother. He gave her another ticket. The poor girl is going to lose her license.

Anna- I had a bee in my car! What did he expect me to do?

A bee in her car?

That's a good one.

Though, if me telling her brother that I didn't notice the sign didn't work, I highly doubt she was banking on a bee to get her out of the ticket.

Me- Maybe you should slow down.

One thing I learned about Anna is that she likes to drive fast. She was a blue convertible mustang, and she loves to ride with the top down, feeling the wind in her air.

Anna - Slow down? No. My brother could give his sister a break and just let me go. I think he stalks my car. You know? Like when my license plate comes up over their radio, he comes to hunt me down.

Me- I'm sure it's because he wants you to be careful, sweetie

Anna- Whose side are you on? You're my bestie!

As if I would ever be on that mans side over his sister.

Me- Your side always. Don't even ask me that again. I'm offended.

Anna- I know I'm only teasing. Im going shower and get some of this paperwork down. This weekend we are going to the Sleepy Sheep.

She has told me that every night for days. Anna has been planning our girl's night ever since I left her house. I didn't even make it home before she texted me, informing me that I would not be able to escape next time.

Me- Yup. Can't wait.

And I really couldn't. I was ready to drink a bit and have some fun with her. It's been a while since I drank anything, to be honest. I'll probably get plastered after two drinks.

I reach over, plugging my phone into the charger, using the other socket by the way, and set it down. My popcorn bags almost empty as I pick it up and lay it next to my phone before turning off my lamp.

Tomorrow is my first day at the 911 center. I can't wait.

The next morning, I woke up in a great mood, fixed me some oatmeal with freshly cut bananas, and fixed me a sandwich for lunch. I had forgotten to ask if we were allowed to leave the building to go pick up some lunch so just in case we can not, I packed mine.

I picked out a suitable first day outfit, soft blue jeans and a shirt that was dull pink with little white flowers all over. I had wanted to wear some nice shoes but the hours are so long that I needed to be comfortable, so I had decided on a pair of black converse.

Added a bit of makeup to my face, the foundation, a little light-brown eyeshadow and blush to make my cheeks pop. I also straightened my hair.

Now tell me after doing all that, after waking up feeling great, after filling my belly with good oatmeal and picked out the perfect first day outfit that I have yet to step out of my car. I'm not nervous about the job itself, it's just first day getters.

I finally talked myself into stepping out of my car and when I did, I had looked up towards the police station and caught a glimpse of Cedric walking to his squad car. I have not seen or spoken to him for days, and I don't know whether I liked that or not anymore.

I found it very sweet that he wanted to check the cameras, and I found it double sweet that he wanted me to know so that I would sleep easier.

He is still a dickhead, though.

Stop looking, Avery and get inside. You got this babe, I preached to myself as I closed my car door and headed inside.

“Hey boo” Sean said as soon as I opened the doors to the 911 center. I'm glad he is paying attention today and not wearing those earbuds.

“Hi” I replied and smiled, walked over to his desk and laid my arms on top the counter. “How's your studying going?” I asked, genuinely wanting to know how he was doing with it.

“Eh. Mr. Whitlock doesn't think I am ready yet” He grumped.

“I'm sure he knows what he is talking about. It's not an easy job. One mistaken word could cause the entire conversation to go the wrong way” I tell him softly, not choosing to be mean but needing him to understand.

Once you put that headset on, you're a different person. You have to be prepared to shut down your emotions, the best you can, at least. You can't start stuttering and crying while on a call. He has to pass the test, just like I did when I first became one and could be on my own with calls.

“I know. I have been making my man throw random situations at me, and I do fairly well with them. Just when I'm with the boss man, I get nervous. Which that's not even an excuse because I would be even more hesitant while on a call. I just suck”

“You don't suck, sweetie. Some can handle this job better than others. No shame either way. Just like some people can paint, and I completely suck at it.” I laughed, thinking about that one time I had tried my hand at painting. Yeah, never again. I had paint all over my hands and clothes. It didn't even come close to being what I was trying to make.

“Yeah, I guess you're right.” He mumbled unhappily. “The room you're looking for is down the hallway to the left. The door on the right is where you can put your belongings. Have a great first day, Avery. Maybe you could tell me about some of your calls sometimes and help me.” He suggested with pleading eyes.

“I'll think about its Hun. Have a lovely day” I smiled, waved and headed towards the back room, ready to start my first day.

Is it bad that I hope the first call doesn't take too long to come in?