Chapter 22

I'm pulling into my driveway hours later. I had a great time today with Anna and her family. Apparently her family was big on family things. Family things like board games. Yes, we played board games, and let's just say I'm a sore loser. I liked to win and when Cedric and his dad kept beating us women at every game, Anna and I gave attitude.
First, we played monopoly. Cedric and Mr. Glenn won.

Second, we played scrabble. They won again.

Last we played Jenga and you guess it. They won. Again.

“You both are cheating.” Anna snapped when we got done with the last game, looking ready to throw the little jenga pieces around the living room.

“Now pumpkin, you know I don't let y'all win. Earn it.” Mumbled Mr. Glenn, who looked very much used to his daughter's little tantrums.

“We didn't win a single game, Glenn.” Huffed Helen as she took a big gulp out of her wineglass.

Even though my team kept losing, I just had an awesome time. Cedric let me be after our little talk in the pool. I suspect that was mainly due to Anna not leaving my side the rest of the day. That was probably what put him into a shit mood towards the end. He got a phone call from the station and ended up leaving. He said goodbye to his parents, narrowed his eyes on Anna and sent me a nervous smile before disappearing out the front door.

Helen packed me a container of leftovers to take home, and I didn't complain. The food was wonderful. Mr. Glenn knows what he is doing around that grill. I had ribs, potato salad, Mac, and cheese and green bean casserole sitting on my seat. That's what I will have for supper tonight. Hours in the son got me feeling lazy, and I want to get inside the cool air, lay on my couch and watch TV for the rest of the evening.

First though, I need to jump in the shower. The chlorine from the pool has my head feeling dirty and itching. Good thing Anna let me use her sunblock. I'm white and when I say white, I mean white like a ghost. My skin is creamy white, I look pale. The sun doesn't help. I don't tan, I always, and I mean constantly burn and then go back to looking like a ghost.

It's now seven pm. I took my shower, put some ointment just to be safe and now I'm standing in the kitchen, in front of the microwave. Waiting on my leftovers to heat. The small package, still sitting on my counter, catches my eye. I might as well open it. After crossing the kitchen, I grabbed the knife from the drawer and headed to the box.

I swear, if this was someone's idea of a prank, I'm going to scream. It's not funny. Nobody wants to open box after box just to get to whatever is inside. Whatever it is, must be small. The package could actually fit inside my hand.

Once I got the tape off, I gently laid the knife down next to the box and pulled the top open, and peered inside.

I see nothing.

What the hell?

I picked up the box, holding it tilted, so I could get a better angle, and I still saw nothing. I reached inside, feeling around, thinking maybe it's just something very tiny, and then I felt something. I dragged it out and noticed its hair. Hair tangled around my fingers.

What the fuck?

Who would send me hair? I hurried and shook the hair off, trying not to throw up as I watch it fall onto my counter and looked back inside the box, feeling confused and a little disgusted.

It was then I saw it.

Blood.

Just a small amount on the bottom of the box. I screeched and dropped the box. I watched as it fell to the floor as I hurried into the living room to grab my phone.