Chapter 42

I walked out of Cedric's home without making a sound. I couldn't face him, instead I left a note on the bed informing him I was no longer his responsibility and he was free.

I was a coward and ran like a rat into the night. I'm sure he heard my car's engine start, but by the time he came outside, if he even bothered to, I was already gone.

I know him, and I will eventually have to discuss it out and come to an understanding if we have any hope of being friends after this, but I can't just yet.

I'm now standing on Ana's front porch, knocking soft and crying as I wait for my best friend to open up her door.

I didn't want to pull Ana into Cedric and my relationship problems, but I didn't have anywhere else I could go at the moment.

“Avery?” Ana asked as she opened the door and rubbed her right eyes. “It's so early. Did something happen? Come inside, it's chilly”

“Oh Ana, I hate to ask you this, but can I stay with you for a few days?” I asked her softly as I closed the door behind me. “Just until I can figure everything out,” I added. I would rather not end up being a responsibility to her, too.

“Wait, Avery, slow down. First, of course, you are always welcome to stay with me, but my question is, secondly, why do you need to? Did something happen between you and my brother? What did he do?”

“I don't know, Ana. Everything is so messed up now. God, we were so happy together until this happened to me,” I cried and pointed at my throat. “I overheard him on the phone this morning and I know I shouldn't have been listening in on his conversation but the things I heard him say,” I broke off, sadness tightening up my chest and squeezing my heart as my mind replays those words.

“Are you sure this wasn't just a misunderstanding? I mean, Ave's, it's Cedric, my brother, who is hopelessly in love with you. What could he have said that has you crying like this?” Ana asked me as she walked me into her living room and forced me to sit down on the couch.

“He was talking to Conor this morning when I went down to make him breakfast. He said that I was his responsibility, and it was his fault this happened to me. He said he needed to do something but couldn't because I wasn't ready. I still wasn't healed. He called me his responsibility-”

“Avery honey, that's just my brother. you know how he is. He loves you. That crazy man took you from under my brother's nose, and you know the type of man Cedric is. Of course his going to blame himself,” Ana whispered and rubbed my back as I cried.

“It's not just the words that made me believe what I believe, Ana. It's his actions. The past few months for us have been wrong. I felt something in our relationship changing, and it's because we are not having sex. He won't touch me like that. He holds me during the night, but that's only for him to make sure I'm safe in his arms. I don't feel like his attracted to me like he once was. Before this happened, Ana he couldn't keep his hands off me, and now I barely feel them. So, hearing that conversation this morning and what I know from his actions, I can't help but think it's best that I release him from his responsibility,”

“My what?”

Both Ana and I twisted around, heads raised over the back of the couch, seen Cedric standing in the hallway and looking very pissed off.

Dang it.

I figured he would know where I went, but I was hoping he would just let me have tonight before he broke up with me.

“Um-” Ana said something once the shock wore off, but she looked at me speechless and tried again. “Avery feels-”

“I'm not talking to you,” he barked at her and kept his eyes on me. “My what Avery?” He asked me, tone going dangerously cold as he locked his eyes on mine.