Chapter 8

I waved goodbye to Sean behind the front desk and walked through the front door. I felt my hands shaking as I dug through my purse, digging for my car keys. As soon as I unlocked my door, I slid inside, shut my doors and let those tears fall for Rosie.
That call had really messed with me. I spent weeks having nightmares about that night, only in my horrors I was watching it all happen. Seeing and couldn't do a thing to stop it.

It would have been easier. Easier on me if they hadn't shown the family pictures in the newspaper the next day. When I picked up that paper in my driveway before heading to work, I didn't think about their pictures, about Rosie's picture being in that newspaper.

I had faces to names, and that haunted me. Rosie's face as she begged for my help.

I allowed myself to cry for a few more minutes. Rosie was a beautiful little girl. She had brown curly hair and her smile, god her smile. It was so huge. You could just tell she was a happy child. I never understood how a man, how a father who looked to love his family, could snap like that.

It was horrible.

A few moments later, I plucked my phone from my purse, found a song by somo and put my car in reverse.

I had things to do.

Things I needed to check off my list of things to do today.

I wanted to leave the police department, to pay for this stupid ticket last, but then I remembered I will be buying groceries. I don't know how long it will take me at the police station, and i'd rather not have my milk spoil in the Carolina heat.

Plus, the police station is just next door.

I can only hope that Office Chandler isn't on duty today.

A few minutes later, I stepped into the small-town police department. It wasn't like you seen on those TV shows. Being this was a small town, it wasn't really busting with people.

I searched around for the check-in counter and finally found it. A young woman who looked to be around my age sat behind the counter, phone in her hand, and looked to be taking a selfie.

What is up with these desk workers? First Sean and his earbuds and now this chick with her cell phone. I could be armed and dangerous and about to shoot up the place, but thanks to society today, I could open fire right now and the alarm wouldn't be sounded until it was too late.

This time I don't wait patently. I do not care if I make a terrible impression on this lady, unlike I did with Sean. I sighed softly before walking up to the desk and tapped my nails down to get her attention.

Her eyes snapped to mine, and she dropped her phone. “Can I help you?”

“Yes. I need to pay for a ticket. I would rather not wait for my court date and would rather get it paid and off my record if possible.” I breathed.

“Who was the Officer?” The lady inquired as she was quickly typing away on her computer.

“Chandler” I muttered.

Just saying his name left an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

“What?” She asked.

Did I not speak loud enough? Maybe I didn't. I think I mumbled it.

“Officer Chandler was his name.” I repeated.

“Oh. Cedric Chandler” She nodded, hummed softly and kept clicking and typing away. Probably looking at the database to find my ticket.

“I guess. He didn't give me his first name”

“Girl. That make is delicious” She whispered.

What?