Chapter 23

Later that night, I'm sitting in the police station. Cedric and Lucas called it in, and soon I had law enforcement cars filling up my driveway. They had roped off my kitchen. Which is a shame because when I'm stressed, I like to bake, and I'm extremely stressed, and I would like nothing more than to be in my kitchen right now baking up a storm.

Sadly, I'm not in my kitchen. I'm sitting in a cold room. Infront of a mirror that i know is a two way mirror. Grey bricks surrounding the room. Cedric had another officer named Williams drive me here. He said it would be safe for me. Safe while he looked around my home. Before I left, I had seen forensic guys combing over my little kitchen. Hopefully, they clean up my counter, I couldn't help but think.

I'll need about three containers of bleach before it will satisfy me that my kitchen is once again baking worthy. I use my counter to roll my dough. So, I require it to be cleaned. Before I got into the police station, Cedric had grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the other officers.

“Don't tell Anna. I don't want her to worry or for her to stick her nose in something that is dangerous. You tell her she will want to go snooping around.” He whispered while looking around my face. Probably checking my reaction to this mess.

I'm in a much better headspace than I was eailer, he didn't need to bother. Not right now, at least. I won't promise and say I won't freak out if I get another package, but I'm working on it. I don't want to allow whoever this person is to scare me away from my new home.

“Don't worry. I won't tell her.” I mumbled to him as I looked around my yard.

My neighbors had all come outside to see the show. Some were holding on to their kids, while others, the women, were huddled together talking while looking over at me.

They are judging me, I know that. I can feel that. If they were concerned about what happened, they would come over and check instead of just standing back and coming up with whatever scenarios that pop up. They probably watch too much TV.

Like that TV show, Desperate Housewives. That's exactly how I'm describing this situation.

He said nothing after that, just walked me back over toward the police car and bent over to speak something to Officer William as I climbed into the backward seat.

I have never been in a police car before and I didn't like it. Knowing that I couldn't open the door made my anxiety grow. What if we wrecked, and I couldn't get myself free? That type of shit filled my head the entire way to the station.

Once I arrived, some lady at the front desk, not the one that worked here last time. I forgot her name, but that doesn't matter, all she did was fawn over Cedric like he was a piece of man meat.

This one, though, the new one was nice. Her name was Callie. She had short brown hair, styled and cut just above her shoulders. Her black glasses kept falling down her nose as she typed my name and information into the system.

“It is true?” She whispered, eyes wide as she looked up from her computer at me.

“What's true?” I asked, confused about what she was talking about. A lot of things right now are true.

One, maybe I shouldn't have moved here.

Two, I have someone sending me bloody hair.

Three, I think feelings are growing for Cedric.

The last two things are not safe. Not safe at all. I don't want to be sent bloody hair, and I definitely don't want to have feelings for that man.

“What they said over the radio?” She said, lowering her voice.