Chapter 15

The past two days went by slowly. I woke up, fixed me breakfast, packed a lunch because I learned that were unable to leave the building for lunchtime. We only had five 911 operators, and Mr. Whitlock wanted to make sure we were all available to deal with the phones if they rang.

He said three of us can't go to lunch and leave the other two to answer five phones and vice versa. Which I understand completely, so I didn't mind bringing my lunch.

Though, I would rather not have sandwiches every day. I need to get used to my new schedule. I have been getting home around six pm after being at work since earlier that morning.

Fast food saves time and lives.

Not really.

My booty and hips don't agree.

But who cares?

When you work late and don't have time to take anything out to thaw for supper, it does indeed save my life.

I had gotten to know my coworkers a little better throughout the past few days.

Wanda has one daughter who's in kindergarten and is divorced. He didn't want to work, so she said that if she had to do everything, she might as well become a single mom.

Rick is happily married. Been married for four and a half years to his high school sweetheart. It's a sad situation, though. She can't have kids, and I can't tell by the look on his face when he speaks about it that it really hurts him.

Megan is still single and lives with her sick mom. Her father had a heartache and died years ago. Her mother is going through cemo and Megan refuses to move out until her mom gets better.

Sheila has what seems to be living the dream life. Her husband is a doctor, and they have three children. One daughter and two sons, are all in Elementary school. Her eyes light up whenever she speaks about her kids and her husband.

Mr. Whitlock doesn't bother us much. He would come in only to check on us, making sure we didn't have questions. Asked us about the calls we received and would head back into his office.

Sean still hasn't given up on being a 911 operator. Every morning, when I walk into the building, he asked me to tell him about a call I got and how I handled that call. I didn't mind. I wanted him to succeed in his goals, and it didn't hurt that he was super friendly to me.

It's Friday night and I tried to get out of going out tonight to the Sleepy Sheep with Anna, but that didn't work. Like at all. She told me she would be at my house at nine pm, and then we would hit it.

Hit the bar, she meant.

I wasn't confident if I was ready to hit it, but I'll have to hit it with her because she didn't give me any other choice. She will no doubt barge into my home and drag me out. That's just who she is. I don't mind. I enjoy having her as a friend. My only friend.

The town's been pretty quiet. We have not gotten many 911 calls and with five of us answering the phones, who have been working there longer than I have, I didn't get much phone time.

The one call I got to answer was about a car wreck. Two teenagers broke into their parent's alcohol cabinets, and they ended up running a red light. Thankfully, they didn't hit anyone, they hit a light pole instead and one of them. The driver, banged his head pretty hard on the steering wheel and had to be brought to the hospital.

On Thursday, Sheila brought us all leftovers for lunch, pasta with Spicy Crab. It was outstanding. I asked for her recipe, not really having any hope that she would hand it over because I never shared my grandma's recipes before, but she did, and I wrote every tip she gave me.

I thought that was nice of her to do. I'm not a good cook, but I'm a hell on wheels' baker. I plan to make a cake and bring it over here for them all to enjoy, and if they ask for that recipe, I'm thinking I'll share it this time.

I'm starting to believe that Cedric was right. Nothing else happened since that night, which forces me suspect I indeed was dreaming. I didn't want to admit it at first. I was so sure of what I heard, but as days go by and nothing happens, well makes me wonder.

Was I honestly dreaming and just thought my dream was real?

I talked to Anna about that last night, and she begged me not to ever tell Cedric that because his ego is already bigger than the truck he drives. Her words, not mine. Though I can definitely get behind those words.

She had also told me that her mother asked when I intended to go back over to eat with them. I won't lie and say I wasn't a tad bit embarrassed about the conversation I had with Cedric. I was angry that he again had said nobody broke in. Even if I believed him now, I didn't at the time.

So, Helen took it upon herself and told Anna that she expected to see me over tomorrow evening for lunch. They were going to barbecue and enjoy the pool before the cold months hit. It's now September and those months are getting closer, and right now, the Carolina heat was beating down hard, and I wouldn't mind jumping into a pool. Even if I had to put up with Cedric for the day.

I could tell Anna no, but her mom was a different story and when I had first told Anna no, that I didn't want another scene like last time with her brother in front of their parents, Helen forced Anna to hand over my cell number, and she ended up texting me herself.

Yes, that's right. Cedric and Anna's mom texted me.

Texted.

Helen - Avery honey, this is Helen. I wanted to inform you that we are having a little barbecue tomorrow afternoon. Lunch is severed at noon. We will see you then.

That was it.

What else could I possibly say to that? No, thank you, ma'am? I would rather not go around your son? Of course not. Anna is still my friend and Cedric is still her brother, making Helen their mom and I want my only friend's mom to like me.

Therefore I texted back

Yes, ma'am. See you tomorrow.

I'm a wimp.

I sent Anna a picture for the third time, showing her my different dressed. She informed me that I had to wear a dress. Not just a dress. No. A little black dress if I had one and luckily for me. I had several.

Anna - That's the one. You're gonna look H-A-W-T.

She even added a heart eye emoji to get her point across.

Thank goodness. I was running out of dresses to show her, and I was losing patience from dressing and undressing over and over.

She even prepared me for tonight. Told me that her brother and his bestfriend who also happens to be dickhead officer number two may stop by once their shift is over. The owner who is also the bartender of the Sleepy Sheep is their other bestfriend. Apparently it's a group of male bestfriend, that got that bromance going on.

They had all been friends since elementary school.

Cedric is even the god father to one of their sons, the Sleepy Sheep owners son. I think I'm remembering that right and if I'm not, it's one of the men.

Cedric a godfather. Hmm. I wonder if he is actually good with kids. He is very imitating, maybe just to me.

Its almost time for Anna to pull up, I suck in a deep breath as I check myself out in the mirror and smile.

I look good I giggled to myself.

My curly waves flowing over my shoulders, and I actually went the extra mile to do a full face of makeup. Foundation, blush, mascara, eyeliner, eyeshadow, and I even used this cool little tool that helps me add wings to my eyes.

I'm ready.

My phone dinged, letting me know I had a message. I quickly snatch it off my bathroom counter and bring it close to my face.

Anna – Pulling up, babe.

Well, here goes nothing.