Chapter 32

Cedric had called his dad while we were on the way. I didn't feel comfortable pulling them into this dangerous situation. I understand Cedric's worry, but if anything happened to his parents because of me, neither one of us wouldn't be able to forgive ourselves.

Anna probably wouldn't be able to forgive us either.

“Dad, you awake?” Cedric talked into his phone, putting it on speaker, while he continued to text Lucas, who had just arrived at the crime scene. “I'm going to drop Avery off at your house. We have a problem.”

“Cedric-” I tried to stop him. We agreed we were going to keep his parents and Anna in the dark so that they wouldn't worry or be dragged into this.

“My dad needs to know.” He whispered to be, leaned over, and grabbed my hand, placing it on his thigh. “Don't worry, he can't handle this.”

Don't worry, he says.

All I have been doing the past few hours is worrying. Someone died. Someone who looked like me lost her life to a sick man, with my pictures lying around her dead body. That is very much something I should and am worrying about.

“What's the problem?” His dad's tone switched to sleepy to business in a heartbeat.

“Avery's home has been broken into twice. It happened again last night. You remember I told you about the girl who was missing?” Cedric paused, waiting for his dad's conformation.

“Is she okay? Yeah, son, I remember. You found her?” His dad asked, worried.

“She is fine. She has been with me. I was with her when we discovered her house was broken into. We found the missing woman, dad, dead. We found her in another missing woman's home with pictures of Avery around her body.” Cedric growled, getting worked up again.

“What the hell.” His dad growled back. Now I know where Cedric gets his personality from. “Do you have any leads' son? You sound like you're driving. Where? Where is Avery?”

“No I don't. She is right here. I need to head to the crime scene, dad, but I don't feel comfortable leaving her alone-” Cedric explained the situation to his dad, but he didn't need to continue.

“Of course, son. Bring her here. Your mother is still sleeping, but I'm awake. Bring her.” His dad ordered before hanging up the phone.

“We agreed that we would keep them in the dark. We agreed that if they asked any questions, we would tell them we were dating.” I accused, upset that my drama is now pulling in people that I'm starting to care about.

“Babe, my dad is a retired cop. I told you he can handle this. He won't tell my mom or Anna. If my mom or Anna asks questions, our answer is still the same. We are dating, and our answer won't be lies.” He grunted before making a left turn.

“We didn't agree with that either.” I whined before leaning my head back against the seat.

“We didn't agree?” He asked and looked over at me. “Are you sure?” He growled playfully before placing his hand on my thigh, causing my heart to threaten to beat out of my chest.

“Cedric-” I warned him.

“You are mine, Avery. The sooner you admit it, the sooner we can get to see where we go.” He said and gently squeezed my thigh, digging his fingers closer to my inner thigh, causing me to push my legs together.

We didn't talk anymore on the way to his parents' house. He called Lucas and demanded to listen to everything that was going down at the crime scene.

I just stared out my window, lost in thought and trying to figure out who could be doing this and why. I have not done anything bad to anyone here. I just moved here a few weeks ago, I couldn't have upset someone this much.