Chapter 31

Once I had the things I needed packed up and after Lucas bagged up the black pair of stained panties to take down to the police station to get tested, we headed back to Cedric's house in silence.

I was so freaked out that the nerves swarming around inside my belly didn't allow me to say anything. Instead, I felt helpless and started to bite my nails, a bad habit I started when I was young when my parents died.

I only do it when I'm extremely stressed and right now, they way I'm feeling is even over the line of extremely stressed.

Cedric was pissed the entire way back. He didn't say a word to me, just kept calling people at the station, demanding they push a rush in for the DNA off my panties.

We are now sitting down at the kitchen table. The first thing I did when I walked inside was head straight for the kitchen and towards my new coffee pot. I wouldn't be sleeping much tonight anyway, and coffee really doesn't keep me awake.

“Babe, coffee at night?” Cedric asks me as I prepared the machine to make a full pot of coffee.

“Yes.” I mumbled, watching the brown water drip into my cup, not being able to get the sight of those panties out of my head.

“We need to talk,” Cedric informed me as he sat down on a stool against the kitchen island.

“We don't.” I whispered, thinking that I couldn't handle anything else today.

Even about that kiss.

God.

It felt so good, he felt so good, but we have enough problems right now and that doesn't need to be another one.

“Babe we do.” Cedric growled.

I ignored him, grabbed my cup of coffee, and went to sit beside him. I need more silence. I just want to sit here, enjoy my new coffee maker, and not think about anything.

“Avery. We need to talk about what's between us.” Cedric sighed and turned his body to face me.

“We don't need to talk about anything.” I mumbled. “I get it. You're helping me, and we let our emotions get to us. You're off the hook.”

“What the fuck?” Cedric snarled, sounding pissed off once more.

Great.

I don't need this right now.

“You think that kiss was because of what we were dealing with? Because our emotions got to be too much?” He asked, his tone turning harder with each word he spoke.

“It's fine Cedric. You said it yourself. You're helping me because I'm Anna's friend. I expect nothing else from you.” I explained, before taking a sip of coffee.

“No. Fuck no.” I heard him snarl before my mug of coffee was snatched out of my hand and the mug slammed down onto the counter.

“Cedric!” I shouted, annoyed.

“We are definitely talking about it now. You're twisting everything inside that head of yours and I don't like it.” He declared and twisted my bar stool to face him.

“Cedric, just stop-” I said, wanting to explain to him that I understand our situation.

We maybe fake being in a relationship so nobody we care about gets involved, but that doesn't mean I expect it to turn real.

“You are going to shut up and listen to me. I'm not helping you because you're my sister's friend. I am helping you because you need help because I see a woman scared to be in her own home-” His words died as I tried to jump off the bar stool.