Chapter 39

“Why did you call them?” I snapped at Lucas. I don't have time to deal with my worried family right now. I need to find my girl, and we have no mother fucking leads. I don't have time for this bullshit.

“We needed help. We need people who know Avery. Maybe we missed something.” Lucas growled, looking pissed. “Do I need to lock you down?”

“Noone is fucking locking me down. Do you hear me? Brother or not, I will fucking beat your ass if you try.” I snarled and got into his face.

“That's enough.” My dad shouted and put his hand out, pushing me and Lucas apart. “This isn't helping, Cedric. I know your pissed son, I know your worried, but you behaving like this isn't going to fucking help.”

Damn, I have not heard my dad curse in years. “Your right. Sorry.” I whispered and rubbed my hands down my face.

I'm the best detective the station has, and right now, that means nothing. I can't do fucking anything to get my girl back.

I know nothing.

“Conor has been calling the surrounding towns to see if they have anything that could help us.” Lucas told me, his heated gaze locked on me, telling me he wasn't happy with me right now, and I don't blame him. I have been acting like an asshole since everyone arrived.

“I'm sorry. I'm just lost. I need to find Avery.” I tried to explain to my best friend how I was feeling. We never talked about our feelings. We joked around and bullshit with each other, but actually opening up and talking about feeling isn't something we three do.

“I know Ced. It's cool. Were cool.” Lucas told me and patted me on my back. That's his way of hugging me and giving me support, and I appreciate it.

“Cedric!” I heard my mom's voice shouting across the police tape line at the front door. “You let me through right now. My son is Cedric Chandler and my daughter-in-law is missing. Don't make me mad, young man.” My mom was now threatening a rookie we had watching the front door.

“Mom?” I asked, confused. How the hell did she find out? I didn't want to tell her until after I got Avery back.

“Helen? What are you doing here?” Dad asked, shocked, and that told me he didn't tell her.

“Let her through.” I sighed.

“What am I doing here? What do you think I'm doing here, Glenn? You and Cedric have been keeping secrets from me, and you know that never ends well for you both. I always find out. When Lucas called you, I pretended to me asleep, but I heard everything. How dare you keep something like this from me?” My mom shouted at my dad and then turned her momma bear gaze towards me. “And you. I'm so mad at you. That girl must have been so scared and there I was, playing board games with her when I should have been comforting her. I'm ashamed.”

“Mom, I just didn't want you and Anna to worry. Dad and I had it covered-” I tried not to lose my shit on my mother and calm her down.

“Yeah? You know better than to lie to me about someone in my family. You had no right to do that. You had no right you and your father had no right to keep me in the, dark, not when someone in my family was in danger.” She growled and shook her finger at me. “Oh, I swear if I could turn you over my knees I would.”

“Helen dear. Calm down. We are sorry. We did what, we thought, was best, but Cedric needs to focus on finding Avery, so he can bring her back to us.” My dad gently told my mom and pulled her into his arms.

Thank god for my dad.

"My best friend has been getting stalked and nobody fucking felt I deserved to know?” Anna shrieked before giving the rookie her best murdering stare. “Fucking let me in, Charlie.”