Chapter 37

Cedric agreed we could go out with my coworkers that night. We had a great time, and may have drank a little bit. My man didn't drink, he just kept looking around to make sure I was safe while I enjoyed my night out with my friends. I invited Anna to come out and join us, but she was working late on a case at the law firm she works at and told me she would join next time.

We went around sharing some of the most ridiculous calls we have received since becoming operators.

“I always get the pranking kids. Calling me about if my fridge is running, I'd better go catch it.” Howled Wanda. “No matter how many times I have heard that over the years, I swear it never gets old.

“Oh that's nothing. I had a man call me crying because he couldn't find his cat. I told him a missing cat wasn't really an emergency for us, but he then started to tell me that he was unable to find a woman that would date him because he still lived with his mom and he ended up getting adoption papers done for his cat.” Rick laughed and took a sip of his beer, while patting a not so amused Cedric on the back.

My man wasn't having a good time. He was back to worrying now that our bubble has been popped, but I am. I'm feeling safe tonight with Cedric sitting beside me that I'm actually allowing myself to have a good time.

“I had a caller who butt dialed us and once he heard that I was a woman, he tried asking me on a date. Talked himself into being some hot shot doctor who loves to work out.” Sheila giggled before adding. “That was the date I was referring to. Nothing about his body told me what he said was true.”

“Oh god.” I laughed hard, choking on my drink, causing Cedric to pat me on my back.

“Babe, you are good?” He asked me worried as he watched me keep choking while I couldn't stop laughing.

“Yeah babe yeah.” I giggled before kissing his check. “I'm more than good.” I whispered to him. “I love you, Ced.”

I watched as his eyes flashed with emotion as he looked down at me and smiled. “I love you too, Avery baby.”

“I need to go to the bathroom.” I said, excusing myself from the conversation and laughing as I climbed over Cedric to get out of the booth.

“I'll come.” Cedric replied and stood up behind me.

“Babe no. It's fine. I'm just going to pee. Relax. Nothing is going to happen. Too many people.” I told him gently and held my hand out to stop him from following me.

“Something doesn't feel right, Avery. My guts telling me you're not safe. Let's just go home.” Cedric suggested, bent down and grabbed my purse. “You can tell me all about your crazy calls in bed, where I know you're safe in my arms.”

“No. I don't want to go home. You can though, babe, if you like. I'm tired of being scared. I want to enjoy myself with you and my friends. Just because he is still out there doesn't mean I have to hide away and shrink back every time something bad happens.” I told him calmly, hoping he would understand.

“I'll be right here waiting.” He growled, not sounding happy.

“I know you will be, baby.” I smiled and blew him a kiss before heading towards the lady's room.

As I'm walking, I realize how far I have come in life. I have an incredible job, once again. I have a wonderful best friend. I have a incredible, loving boyfriend that I don't even have any fears about being with, even after everything I have been through with my ex. I never worry about Cedric cheating on me. He just isn't that type of man and since we started dating, he hasn't even so much as looked at another woman. I have friendly coworkers who have invited me out tonight to make sure I knew I was now a part of their team.