Chapter 29

That man never called back, thank goodness. The rest of my shift was good, nobody was seriously injured, and everyone who called us for help today got the help they needed.

Today was a pretty good day.

I'm now sitting at the burger joint just a few blocks from the station, eating a messy hamburger with Cedric.

This is not a date I have to keep repeating inside my head.

“How was work?” Cedric asked, laying down his burger and grabbed a handful of fries.

“It was good. Someone pranked called the center today, and it was just strange.” I shrugged and took another bite of my burger. “This is wonderful.” I commented.

“I told you. It's the best place in town for burgers.” He smiled and popped a few fries into his mouth. “What was the call about? What was weird about it?”

“I didn't tell you, so you would turn all cop on me, Cedric.” I murmured, not wanting to bring up that disturbing call again.

“I'm always a cop, Avery.” He grunted and raised an eyebrow. “ Tell me.” He ordered.

Ugh, I did not want to be having this conversation while I'm trying to enjoy my dinner.

“I promise It's nothing. Just kids.” I sighed, hoping this will be the end of it. “We still need to go to my house to grab my clothes, and I'm excited to take my coffeepot out of the box.”

“Already done.” He said as he watched me take another bite of my burger.

“Excuse me?” I asked. He already set it up?

“What babe? I told you I was going to head home to shower. I put it on the counter before going to pick you up.” He shrugged, like it wasn't a big deal.

“Oh, okay.” I whispered.

Not understanding why I got so happy about him putting out our coffee maker without me having to ask him or do it myself. My ex wouldn't have done that, he would have left it in the box, in the truck until I got it out myself.

“Tell me about you, about your life.” He smiled and leaned back in his seat, sipping on his beer.

Oh, we're doing that now?

“Um why?” I asked, not really wanting to bring all that mess to my fresh start.

“Because why not? I want to know.” He shrugged, placed his elbows on the table and waited for me.

“Well, I lost my parents and my grandmother. Losing them is what made me want to become a nine one one operator.” I whispered, not wanting to give him all the details.

“How did you lose them?” He asked.

“Excuse me?” I asked, not understanding what he meant. They died. That's how I lost them.

“How did they die, babe?” He asked, gently this time.

“My parents from a car crash and my grandmother from a heart attack, though I truly believe all could have been saved if the ambulances responded sooner.” I informed him.

I wasn't being petty or blaming anyone. It took them twenty-two minutes to get to the scene of the crash and over fifteen to arrive at my grandmother's house.

Response time needed to get better, and that's one of the main reasons I wanted to become an operator.

I put pressure on them to get there as soon as they can.

“I'm sorry, Avery.” Cedric spoke softly. “Anna and I lost our grandpa two years ago. He was a funny old man, a bit grumpy on Sundays when my mother forced him to wake up early for church. Said he got up early enough times in his life that he now deserves to sleep past six o'clock.” He smiled as he told me, and I could assume those memories were flashing through his mind. “He was good to us though, the best grandpa.”