Chapter 24

A few minutes later, I'm still waiting for Cedric. I tried opening the door, but apparently they keep the interrogation rooms locked on the inside. Smart move, not that I appreciated that at the moment. My strategy was to sneak out and try my best to find a cab. I know I could have tried that app, someone local could have picked me up, but that's not very safe. 

Who would want to get inside a vehicle with a stranger? Not me. So instead of keeping with my plan which wasn't much to go start with, I decided waiting for Cedric was my only actual option. I could call Anna, but then knowing her what little I know of her at least, she would have come charging in. Her doing that would have gotten me in trouble with Cedric, and it just wasn't worth it. 

Soon, the door squeaked open. I looked up to see Cedric's tired facing look down at me. “Ready to go?” He asked.

I nearly fell as I jumped out of my seat quickly. “Been ready.” I cracked. 

I didn't mean to, but as I got up from the chair, my eyes landed on the clock on the left wall and I saw that it's now past one in the morning. Just because I wouldn't be getting any sleep tonight doesn't mean I don't want to at least be comfortable. 

“I had paperwork to do, Avery.” He snapped back and held the door open for me.

“Sorry. I'm tired.” I whispered as I followed him out of the room and through the hallway. I quickly rubbed my tired eyes with the palms of my hands.

“Well?” I asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence. He hasn't said another word. Just walked through the building, passed people, gave a few chin lifts. 

“Well what?” He sought, coming to a stop at his squad car in front of the station house.

“What do you mean what?” I cried. “What did y'all find out?”

“Nothing yet. We are still waiting for the test to come back from the DNA-”

“How long is that going to take? I need answers, Cedric" 

“I know you do, but these things take time, Avery. Can't just snap your fingers, and it is done.” He growled, unlocked his car, the front passenger door instead of the back, and walked around the hood. 

“I know that!” I huffed as I all but did a baseball slide into the seat. I'm just ready to get back home. I feel disgusting. I need a shower. I need some food. I need many things right now, and being in the car with Cedric isn't one of them.

In fact, there goes those goosebumps growing on my arms once again.

“You hungry?” He asked suddenly as he started the car, and swung his gaze at me.

“I can eat at home-”

“You're not going home.” He growled, and pulled out of the parking lot, leaving me speechless.

The hell, does he mean I'm not going home? Where am I going?

“What do you mean? I'm going home.” I stated, crossing my arms over my chest.

“You're not going home.” He repeated. He could have given me a little more detail than just repeating himself.

“I heard you-”