Chapter 28

Cedric dropped me off at the nine one one center before heading towards the police station. I was annoyed and definitely had an attitude that I still have not had a cup of coffee even though we just got one, and it's now sitting lonely in his truck waiting to be used.

I wanted to bring it in with me. I was ready to defend that bag against Cedric. The closer we had driven to the center, the tighter I held that bag in my arms.

I was hoping he didn't notice, but yeah, his a cop. He doesn't miss much, apparently.

“Babe, you're not taking that into work with you.” Cedric chuckled and tried to pry the coffeepot out of my hands.

“But I need it.” I whined, like a pathetic child who was getting her favorite toy taken away. I just wanted a cup.

“And tonight after your long shift, you end up forgetting it. I'm going to have to deal with your attitude again tomorrow morning. No. Leave it in here.” He ordered and plucked the bag out of my hands.

Rude asshole.

He didn't even have one to start with, and now his acting all protective over a coffee pot. I wouldn't forget it. It means too much to me to just forget it. I need caffeine in the morning or ill be a gigantic bitch.

“Whatever.” I snapped and unbuckled my seat belt before he even stopped the truck, ready to jump out as soon as he didn't.

“I could give you a ticket for that.” He whispered, without taking his eyes off the wheel, as he parked the car.

I'd like to give you a ticket.

“Give me the ticket then, Cop.” I growled and jumped out of the truck and headed into the building before he could say anything else.

“Good morning Avery.” Sean greeted me as soon as I walked through the doors.

I appreciated the enthusiasm, but today has not been a very good morning. Okay, I'll admit it was not terrible, but dealing with my confused feelings about Cedric makes the day pretty bad.

“That is yet to be determined.” I sighed before picking up the clipboard, sighing into my shift.

“Rough morning?” Sean asked, looking concerned, and that too I appreciated.

“Yeah, just an arrogant male cop.” I whispered, not knowing why I admitted that.

“Men. They give us all a hard time. My boyfriend was upset last night because I forgot to take out the trash. The trash. I had to remind him I worked sixteen hours, and I slept most of the day yesterday.” He grunted and shook his head. “They are worth the trouble, though.”

“Depends on the man.” I laughed and headed towards the call room. “Good morning.” I announced to my co-workers, ready to make this day a little better by saving lives.

“Morning Hun” Wanda said, right before showing a donut into her mouth. “Sorry, I haven't had breakfast yet.”

"You never eat breakfast before coming here.” Rick and laughed when she slapped his hand when he tried taking one of her donuts. “Oh come on, Wan. You know I was just picking on you.” He whined, eyes pleading for a donut.”

“Yeah yeah. Take one.” She growled, annoyed, but I saw the playful smile she was trying to hide.

“How's your mom, Megan?” I asked her, wanting her to know that I'm here for her if she needs anything.

“It was a rough morning. Chemotherapy makes her feel worse than the cancer does some days, but we are okay. She is a fighter.” Megan replied, hope lacing her worried tone.

“I'm sure she is.” I told her.

“Y'all heard about Renee and Harold? It's the scandal of the year.” Sheila said as she burst through the doors.

“What happened?” Rick asked, mouth full of donut, wanting to know the tea that Shelia was all too ready to spill.

“They have been having an affair. Three months. His wife came home early from a business trip and found them in bed together. She ended up throwing all his clothes and screamed down her neighborhood.” Shelia giggled as she told us the latest gossip in Darlington.
“Won't be good for his practice. Can you imagine your therapist being a cheater? Who would trust him?”

The conversation soon died down as calls flowed in.

“This is nine one one, what's your emergency?” I asked, bringing my hands up against my keyboard, ready to type down information.

It's been seven hours and everything's been pretty mild, you could say.

A few prank calls from younger kids thinking it's hilarious to call in a fake situation.

A woman had got into a car wreck, she was lucid enough to call us, the only concern was that she was six months pregnant, and her belly slammed into the sterling wheel. I had called for a follow-up a few hours later and was relieved to know that she and the baby would be just fine.

Not every nine one one operator can stomach the follow-up, meaning most do not do it. I do, not for every case, just those I know I'll have trouble sleeping without knowing if that person or people made it through their situation.

Wanda brought us all shepherd's pie for lunch. It was marvelous, and I mean marvelous. It actually made me moan a little as I swallowed down the yummy, soft bites.

It wasn't long after my lunch break that another call came through my phone.

“Nine one one what's your emergency?” I asked.

I waited several seconds, thinking the person is struggling gather their thoughts, but nothing came through. Just heavy breathing from the other end of the line.

“Hello? Can you hear me? What's your emergency?” I urged again, worried that something terrible could be happening.

It shocked me when the caller finally made a a noise, but it wasn't the sound of distress.

It was the tone of pleasure.

What?

“Hello? You called the nine one one station. Do you have an emergency?” I demanded again, feeling uneasy and uncomfortable.

“Hmm huh.” A deep male's voice came clearer through the phone and I felt disgusted.

Was this man pleasuring himself?

Does he know he called us?

“Sir. This is the nine one one station, if you do not have an emergency, I'm going to have to hang up.” I stated firmly, not wanting to keep my phone on a call without it being needed, and because I was kind of getting a little creeped out.

“Thank you.” The man moaned before hanging up the phone.

I let my hand fall, taking the phone with it as I stared down at it confused.

Did he just thank me?

For what?

I swear, people are so strange these days. I shook my head and placed my phone down on the hook, ready to receive the next call, hoping that creep didn't call back and if he did, Rick would be the one to deal with that.

“That was creepy.” I said, not meaning to say it out loud.

“What happened?” Megan asked.

“Just a creep moaning into the phone.” I sighed, trying to get that noise out of my head. That was not what I wanted to hear today.

“Oh yeah. You know how that is. We get so many calls from prankers.” Rick growled, sounding annoyed. “You would think they'd have more respect for our job than to do that, but yeah, they don't.”

“I guess so. It just didn't sound like a prank.” I sighed, but let the conversation drop as the phones rang again.