Chapter 5: War Crimes

"Raven Reyes. Come in, Raven Reyes." A stagnant voice repeats in my helmet intercom.

"ahhhh." I wince in pain at the ringing in my head.

My eyes flutter opens slowly and are immediately blinded by light. Then, it hits me like 1,000 bullets. I'm on the ground.

Eagerly, I remove my helmet, lightly touching a soft spot on my forehead. I pull my fingers back and examine bright red blood coating my finger from where I had just touched my head.

"Damn it." I whisper to myself.

I finally see my reflection in the glass window. My long hair is still cleanly tied up in the back of my head, but my blood is stemming from a wide gash on my hairline. I decide to ignore it for now.

"Calling Ark Station. This is Raven Reyes."

"Raven?!" The voice in my intercom becomes human again.

"Abby?"

"Yes. Are you alright?"

"A little blood never hurt me before."

"Raven where are you bleeding from?!"

"My head."

Its silent for several seconds.

"You need to find the others so they can help you... there are others, right? Can you breathe?"

"Let's find out!" I tell her, a bit too eager.

I slowly open the dropships door, as a metal hiss escapes. It's quiet all around me other than the soft chirp of birds in the lush green trees. The air smells clean and cool and the sun dawns on my soft skin.

"Raven, are you ok?"

"Raven. Come in Raven Reyes." Abby's voice cries, a bit panicked.

"I'm ok, Abby." I reply softly, unable to take my focus from my surroundings.

"How is it?!" Sinclair's voice asks.

"Perfect." Is all I manage to whisper as I tilt my chin up and grin towards the sky. Free.

--------------------------

Its finally morning again judging by the number of footsteps and foreign conversations I hear outside of the tent I'm being held in.

My eyes were burning and heavy from lack of sleep, and my back was completely numb. I hadn't been given food in over two days, and what little dirty water I'd drank yesterday had left me thirstier than before.

"tie em up raun moun wood." [Tie him up around the wood.] I hear the woman named Anya order before she, 3 other warriors and Finn march into the tent I'm being held in.

Finn looks much worse than me. His face is discolored from the number of bruises. His lip is busted open, and the blood has dried over. He's being dragged by the two men, unable to stand himself it looks like. It barely even looks like he is conscious if not for the mere second of eye contact he made, as his eyes shot open.

Upon seeing me, Finn immediately began to kick and scream and flail his limbs as if he was capable of escaping.

"Tie em. Nau!!" Anya yells to the men holding Finn up. They shove him against a post similar to mine before binding his legs together, and his hands above his head. His gag is removed, and he makes a small, painful noise as if he's trying to conceal his level of pain.

"What are you doing? No, no. What- What are you doing to him?" I stutter, voice shaky.

Anya walks over to me.