Chapter 16: It's Always been a Contest

"I can get a hydro farm up and running by the end of the week. I talked to my dad and he's gonna help." Monty speaks.

"You're the man!" Jasper sings back to him. They share an odd sort of handshake/high five. They don't touch hands, but they hold their hand up towards each other and high five it themselves with their other hands in synchronicity.

"What are y'all bozo's doing now?" Murphy interjects.

"None of your business Mr. Negative." Monty answers, jokingly defensive.

Often, Murphy did the wrong thing. He only knew how to survive. And that was ok most of the time. But he was a good kid, in a bad world. A little kindness would change his life.

"Hey, have any of you guys seen Octavia?" Bellamy calls out, approaching the group.

"I'm out." Jasper says, scattering away.

"I don't know anything." Murphy defends, honestly.

"Monty?" Bellamy accuses.

Monty's face is a darker pink and his eyes dart in rapid directions.

"Monty." Bellamy states, much more authoritatively.

"She-she'll be back soon." He spits.

"From where?!"

"She went to see the grounder."

"Lincoln?!"

"Yeah, I think so. Don't tell her I told you please."

"Dammit." Bellamy stresses, walking towards the gate.

------------------------

Abby's POV-

"Marcus, what if I don't talk to her for months or years?!"

"What if I never see her again?!"

"What if the Commander kills her?!!" I panic.

"Shhhhhh. Don't worry." He tells me, rubbing my back as he holds me to his chest.

"How can I not worry?" I demand.

"Listen, the Commander needs Clarke, that's why she's been alive all this time. She said that Clarke was a leader, and she would be going to the capitol with Raven, Monty, and the Blake's.

"I just wish I could talk to her."

"I know. I know. We gave the Commander a radio, so who knows. Maybe she'll use it."

"Maybe." I respond, bringing my lips to his.

--------------------

I am almost done aimlessly walking around, sorting my way through hundreds and hundreds of identical tents before I run into Anya. My face immediately flushes, and my heart rate increases.

"Clarke." She notes. Like how the Commander says my name, only she doesn't click the K.

"Anya." I nod my head.

"Lost?" She asks. Her tone is unusually calm and my mind wonders to ulterior motives she may have.

I bring my lips to a forced sort of straight-smile and nod my head again.

"Follow me." She directs.

She looks just as terrifying as she did torturing Finn and me. Her hair is still braided intricately, and her armor is still as strong and sharp as her cheekbones. Her knives glisten from what's left of the hidden sun as I notice she must have at least 5 weapons on her. She looks scary, but at the same time when she's not trying to hurt me, I can recognize her beauty. Much like how I could with the Commander. Her cheekbones are a defining feature on her smooth, tanned skin. Her slim eyes are unnaturally hazel, much like her caramel-colored hair. You wouldn't think it would match her skin tone or ethnicity, but she seems to pull it off naturally. She is tall and slim; obviously strong. I can see why the Commander might like her if they're in a relationship.