Chapter 37: Infamy

Jasper's POV-

I interlace my fingers with Maya's in an attempt to comfort us both. Her breath is short and nervous although you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at her. She held her head high and focused her eyes on the ceiling.

A large man coated in tattoos strides into the room we're being kept in. All 50ish of us are here although Bellamy, Harper, Monty, and Octavia were being kept on the far side of the room across from us.

"Let us go." A girl to our left pleads. Her confidence was a mistake. I squeeze Maya's hand as the man directs his attention towards her. His fingers ball into a fist and he hits the girl. Her head gets propelled into the concrete wall behind her, and her neck becomes limp. Maya gasps and lets out a shaky breath from next to me.

The man hears her whimper and turns in rage towards where we sit.

He looks between the two of us, determined to know which one of us made the lowly noise.

I take the opportunity without thinking to speak.

"Sorry." I mutter, taking the blame for Maya.

The man rips me from my hand ties and to the center of the room. He pulls me by my collar and only then can I read the name, 'Lt. Carl Emerson.'

---------------------------------

Clarke's POV-

I run through the hallways in an attempt to find my friends. Unsuccessful, I slow my pace when I approach the stairs to level three. From studying the maps with Lexa, I remembered this floor was the official control and operations floor.

I curiously climb the metal stairs until I stop at a barred door with two key card scanners and several locks.

I use Cage's identification I had taken to get into the room.

Inside, 1 large metal table sits in the center with hundreds of buttons and small switches for different things. There is a panel for the kitchen, for lighting, for air control, water pressure, the dam, temperature, etc.

I let my hands glide over the smooth buttons until I get to the end of the table. On the wall closest to the far end, a large glass case is embedded into the concrete pillar. Underneath the glass lies a large lever that reads, 'open radiation air locks.'

A feeling of relief as well as guilt overtakes me, knowing how to end this war once and for all.

-------------------------------------

Lexa's POV-

We finally approach camp and I separate my mind from my consciousness. I feel a warm hand on my shoulder.

Slowly I turn my head to face one of my predecessors. The flame- the symbol for our faith which I carry within me- allows me to communicate with the past Commanders to pass on wisdom or give guidance. Sometimes, I'd meditate to see them, often I'd have nightmares of their memories, and least likely of all, they'd appear before me uncalled for.

I turn to face the Commander beside me. Syra kom Trikru. Her thick dark hair was loosely braided back into a loose knot falling to her shoulders and meeting her olive skin and deep brown eyes.

"Syra?" I whisper, a tear falling down my bloodstained cheek.

"Lexa." She smiles, letting me fall into her embrace.

Syra was the Commander before me. She was 17 when she ascended, and I was 11 when I came to train as one of her natblitas.

I won the conclave 3 years later and ascended the day after she died.