Chapter 51: To A Bright Future

Clarke's POV-

I pace my room feeling waves of nausea and embarrassment pass through me in turns.

Without giving it a second thought, I rush out my door and race down the hallway until I'm face to face with the Commander's large, double doors to her chambers.

"Let me speak with the Commander." I insist to the two guards on either side.

They turn to look at one another and then back to me.

"It is late, Wanheda." One says timidly, obviously afraid of me.

"It's urgent."

The guard sighs and turns to confidently knock on the doors.

"Wanheda ste hir gon ai op Yu." [Wanheda is here to see you.] The guard shouts through the thick wooden doors.

A few seconds of awkward silence pass before a stern voice responds.

"Let her pass!" Lexa orders.

The guards hesitantly pull apart the doors, letting me slip through.

The inside of Lexa's room is quiet and peaceful feeling. There are several golden candles lit around the room, setting a warm ambiance. Her bed is large and covered in lush, expensive furs.

But the room is completely empty. I notice a soft, glowing candlelight coming from her bathroom and decide to follow it closer.

"Lexa?" I call out softly.

I hear no response but when I get to the doorframe of her bathroom, my mouth becomes dry.

The Commander sits in a bathtub full of steaming hot water. Her hair is wet and cascades down her back, and her face is clean of any warpaint leaving only her green eyes as color.

The majority of her tanned body is submerged in the hot water, leaving only her bare shoulders and face above.

Four different servants dance around her, preparing certain tasks. One is lighting candles by the window; another helps to maintain the water's temperature by adding hot water to the tub periodically. The third- and fourth-fold linens and clothing off to the side of the room.

"ban op yumi." [Leave us.] Lexa orders them. Even completely exposed of all her armor, warpaint, and clothes, sitting in a low tub, she still radiates authority and strength.

The 4 servants immediately bow their heads and duck out of her chambers, leaving us alone.

Lexa's eyes are closed but she's more than aware of my presence.

The room is dim, even with the dozens of candles.

"Should I wait outside?" I ask, breaking the silence.

"Hand me my soap." She instructs, ignoring my question.

I raise my eyebrows and turn my head to look for the soap. I find it on the countertop to the left of me.

Hesitantly, I take it and bring it over to Lexa. She reaches her wet hand from the depths of the bathtub and takes it from me.

I stand by her side, awkwardly looking down at my feet as I play with my fingers to distract myself of the tension.

"When did you meet that woman?"

I can hear in her raspy voice that her heart betrays her head. She recognizes she shouldn't care and that she shouldn't be asking me, but she can't help herself.

"I met her a few weeks ago." I admit.

"And thank you for what you did tonight. I know it couldn't have been easy, but you did save my life." I continue.