Chapter 48: Burying Our Legacy

Clarke's POV-

I wake up feeling well rested and warm. Blinking my eyes open, a rush of golden sunlight floods my vision.

I'm laying down on a large bed covered in lush furs. My throat is a bit sore where the man choked me, but other than that I felt unharmed.

"Clarke?" A familiar voice questions.

The voice is powerful and commending yet soft and feminine.

"Lexa?"

Immediately, I feel a body rush to my side and crawl onto the large bed.

I turn and see the Commander in her full armor and warpaint.

"How do you feel?" She asks.

"Fine. What happened?"

Lexa's face immediately darkens, and her tone becomes serious.

"Three men attacked you. Queen Nia sent them from Ice Nation to find you and bring you to her."

I don't gasp or respond, but I didn't realize just how precarious my situation was.

"Where am I now?" I finally say, looking around the large tent.

"My tent. We don't have a medical tent and yours was too small for the doctors that I sent for."

"Doctors?"

"Yes. They arrived two nights ago when this happened. I sent for them to ride through the night when I learned what happened and heard your scream."

"I've been out for two days?" I ask in confusion.

"We will continue to Polis when you're ready. No sooner." She assures.

I look at her, analyzing her motives and emotional responses.

"Lexa, why are you doing this if you plan to kill me anyways?" I whisper in all seriousness. Part of me believed she wouldn't kill me after knowing how she still felt about me, but then again, her first role is to her people, and she'd proved that time and time again.

Lexa looks saddened by my question, and she looks down at her palms in a nervous response.

"Heda?" A warrior interrupts.

Lexa immediately rips herself from her sitting position on the bed and jumps back at least 2 feet so we're nowhere close.

"Forgive me Heda... the Azgeda criminals finally spoke. We know everything." The warrior speaks.

Lexa nods her head diplomatically and dismisses the man.

"Are you ready to get up?" She asks me.

"Yes." I laugh, throwing her covers off my body.

"Get dressed and meet us outside." She orders, referencing my comfortable pj's I had been wearing.

I nod and watch her leave.

-----------------------------------------------

Outside, the air is heavy as a gentle fog rests on the damp earth. It must've rained while I was passed out. I notice the army is dressed to leave and their horses are ready as well.

I try to find Lexa in the crowd and as I get closer to the center campfire, the closer I am to her voice.

She speaks in her native language and although I know how to speak it somewhat, she speaks far too fast for me to understand.

"Wanheda." She addresses as I come near. Around us, warriors bow their heads down to me when the Commander uses my title.

I look around in confusion at the respect I've earned. I approach the Commander and notice the three men who attacked me are tied up and kneeling on the ground in front of the Commander and Anya.