Chapter 8: To War and Back

The air is tense and cold. The grey sky is chilling, and the sharp breeze sends a shiver up my spine. We have spent all night and morning preparing for the army to come. Raven has made 22 grenades and a bomb for the bridge. All that's left is to plant the bomb and have someone wait to shoot it when the grounders begin to cross it.

The only problem is the limited number of bullets we have. We only have 11 guns and only a few rounds of ammo per gun. After they get past the bridge, grenades, and guns, we have nothing left.

"Now, who'll be the one to shoot the bomb when the time comes?" Raven asks.

"I'll do it." Jasper intervenes.

Jasper is a surprisingly good shot given his scrawny physique.

"I'll go with him." His best friend Monty says, slapping Jasper on the back as he nods.

"Ok. You'll only have 6 bullets. It's the most we can spare. No pressure but you really need to make the shot."

"Right, no pressure."

"You'll be a fair distance back in the tree line and when grounders are on the bridge that's when you shoot. When the bomb blows up you get away. Fast. Remember to run back on the trail we went over, any other spot may have landmines."

"Got it."

"Are Keith and Jensen still out scouting for the army?" Bellamy asks.

"Yeah- they left about an hour ago and they're waiting about a mile past the bridge to let us know when it's go time." Finn responds.

-----------------

"Alright. EVERYONE TO YOUR POSITIONS. I NEED GUNS ON EVERY POST, GRENADE THROWERS NEXT TO EACH GUNMAN. STAY CLEAR OF THE LANDMINES- WE CAN'T AFFORD TO WASTE ANY BULLETS OR WEAPONS. THE ARMY WILL BE HERE SOON AND WE NEED TO DEFEND OUR HOME!!" Yells Bellamy.

"He's right- but before you get to your posts remember, only shoot to kill and don't waste ammo on lucky shots. Wait to throw grenades until there's a group of grounders and have a knife on you just in case. When they get past our wall we need to get inside the dropship and close the door. It's our best chance. When one of us gives the signal, run inside because we won't wait for you." Clarke explains.

"Ok now everyone go, go, go!"

-----------------

"GON WAAAAAR!!! JUES DREIN JUS DOWD! JUES DREIN JUS DOWN! JUES DREIN JUES DOWD!!" [To war!! Blood must have blood...] The army 300 strong screams into the chilling air. Their war paint freshly applied and knives sharp.

The army sets off marching, about 3 miles from crossing the bridge with Tristian leading them. Anya has well arrived in Polis with the Commander by now and regrets not seeking her vengeance.

----------------

"Jasper!! Monty!!! They're a mile from the bridge!!! Take the bomb and run!"

Monty and Jasper look towards each other and inhale sharply. Monty nods to him for comfort and Jasper grabs his gun from beside him while Monty takes the bomb as they start off running.

When they finally arrive and place the bomb in the center of the bridge, they can hear war drums playing from the distance. The army is close.

"This feels like a death sentence. One from those video games we used to play on the Ark." Jasper admits.

"We'll be fine. Don't worry. You shoot. We run."

"You can do this." He adds.

The drums get louder and louder as shouting and chanting becomes heard from the treeline. There are hundreds of warriors holding large weapons. They're all tall and huge, covered in war paint and decorated with tattoos and bones of their victims.