Chapter 28: Born to Die But Never to Live

Jasper's POV-

We've been taking shifts all night. 10 of us stay up to guard the room while the 10 injured and the others get sleep. We've been at this for almost a full day with nothing happening. No food, no water, no guards, no noise, nothing.

It wasn't until the sound of soft footsteps caused us to wake up the others and form a human wall, interlocking arms.

We listen as the shuffle of a dozen feet sounds on the others side of the doors, trying to pound the doors open. They don't budge for a few minutes but after a while the footsteps and banging stops.

"Maybe they left?" A girl asks hesitantly.

"Maybe..." I respond.

A few minutes later the air becomes slightly fogged and a strange smell fills my throat and lungs. Soon, everyone is coughing and a few fall to the floor, passed out.

"This is it!" I yell to the others. Most hesitantly nod, fingers turning white from how tightly they hold their lamps as weapons.

I get dizzy and tired feeling, but still stand straight as the banging continues but much harder.

Soon, they push through our barricade, and we attack.

The ones of us that are still standing try to hit and slap and duck from their weapons, but few are successful.

I try to fight the guard in front of me but as soon as I realize I'm seeing triple, I know this fight is over. Behind the guards, Dr. Tsing makes her way through the doors with a soft click of her heels.

She looks around the room, and her eyes land on the young girl I'd spoken to earlier. She was one of the 100 and couldn't have been older than 16.

"That one." Dr. Tsing says pointing towards her.

"No!! Take me instead!!" I beg as they drag her away while she cries.

From behind me I feel a sharp pain in my head as I'm knocked out and fall onto the cold, hard floor for the 6th time since being in this damn mountain. Fuck.

------------------------------------------------------

Bellamy's POV-

I watch as they drag Taylor out of the dorm room and down the hallway crying. She kicks and screams and tries to bite the guard's hand, but even if she could get away from him, there are 8 more and Dr. Tsing behind him.

I feel so incredibly helpless, but I know I can't blow my cover. I have work to do.

I swallow down my empathy and turn away from the sight. Keeping a low cover, I duck back to the backrooms.

In the past day I have gotten the insight I needed to warn Clarke about the missile, and I figured out how to get into the caged room.

I lost communication with Ton DC after the missile, but I knew what I needed to do.

Carefully, while I knew most of the guards and Dr. Tsing were occupied in the medical rooms, I ran to the 1st floor, zipping past the doors to the reaper tunnels and a few other medical rooms that were empty. I find the door I'm looking for and use my stolen key card to get in.

With a click, the lock disengages and I'm in. Around me, hundreds of metal cages are lining the walls of the tall room. In the center, a large rod holds 2 grounders off the ground by their feet, draining them of their blood. I immediately run to them, checking their pulse. They're both alive, but barely.

I cut them down and lower them to the ground slowly. I recognized one of them. He was one of the grounders I had passed in the tunnels when Lincoln was fighting the guards.

He looked weak and tired. I could tell he wouldn't be able to stand on his own, so I helped him up and to the side of the room to sit down and got both waters.

As soon as the others realized I wasn't a threat many began to bang and rattle their cages and scream for me to release them.

Before it became an issue, I silenced them, letting them know that I can't be discovered.

I explained to the hundreds that I would be back to them and some I watched translate my English into their language for the ones around them.

Many looked defeated but some gazed to me as if I was their savior. In some ways, I was.

I hurry away once safely putting the 2 grounders back into their cages and far from the machines.

----------------------------------

It's been almost a day since the missile, and Lexa and I have done our best to stay out of sight in case we're spotted again and the Mountain realizes they haven't killed us.

My mom had been unconscious since we took her out of the rubble and Kane has stayed by her side the entire time.

Raven has been recovering but can't walk on her right leg and Finn is fine.

Everyone else only suffered minor injuries apart from the hundreds of citizens who passed away. Luckily the army is intact, and Lexa was right, it inspired them.

They worked tirelessly to set up another temporary camp, just out of reach from the mountains missile and acid fog system. We march on the Mountain the day after tomorrow and to be honest, I don't know if we'll be ready after this.

The plan relies on Raven- who can't stand. Without her getting into the dam and blowing their power, we have nothing again.

Sinclair has been working tirelessly to make her a high-tech brace out of pieces of metal and cloth that he's forged from the wreck and what was left of her belongings. Anya contributed a piece of armor she had been wearing which was laced with 5 metal buckles and straps that Sinclair had said would be very useful.

-----------------------------------------------

It's later in the day and I've finally left the medical tent, wearing a scarf over my head as I dart to a small tent that had been set up for me. It was near Lexa's small tent, but still a few away. It looked like all the rest.

It was smaller than it had been previously but for good reason. We knew we shouldn't give the mountain any reason to believe Lexa and I were still alive, and that meant dressing and sleeping like the rest of the warriors as if we were no different.

I get into my tent and tear off the scarf around my head letting my blonde hair fall. It had been months since I'd cut it on the Ark, and it was now trailing to my upper-mid back.

"Clarke?" A voice speaks from behind me. I know without looking that its Lexa from the click of the K.

"Lexa." I sigh.

She's dressed like me and wears a similar grey scarf around her head that she takes off in front of me.

Her face is stone, and her eyes are void- she's wearing her mask.

"Octavia knows." She simply states.

"About the missile?" I clarify.

"Yes."

"That's ok, right?" I ask, turning away casually to fix my hair.

"Clarke, if she tells anyone then we could have an uprising. My ambassadors could use this against me to overthrow me." She speaks firmly and certainly.

"I trust her."

Lexa keeps her jaw barred and her lips pursed as she studies my face. Her green eyes infect my blue eyes, seeing into my soul, judging my trust.

I study her back. She's become predictable the more time I've spent with her.

"Do not hurt her." I threaten. My nostrils flare and a rage burns in my chest.

Lexa keeps herself composed and calm, but I can see it through her eyes. She's given an order.

"She's angry, Clarke."

"Let me handle this." I respond, taking my gun out of its holster as I march out of the tent towards Octavia in the setting sun.

Give this a star and PLEASE COMMENT!!! I'd love to hear opinions and literally any feedback!!! Love ya and thanks for reading!