Chapter 39: Lay Waste

Clarke's POV-

I wake up on the damp soil under a canopy of dense trees. The air is cool and slightly humid. I stand myself up and make my way to a small stream a few meters from where I'd been sleeping. I remove my filthy clothes and shake the dirt from my hair as I step into the icy water. It's colder than I'd imagined, temporarily stunning me as my body adjusts.

Finally, I let myself fully sink into the water, emulsifying all my senses and cleansing my skin. I watch as the red that had stained my golden hair transfers itself to the pure water around me. It had been weeks since I had properly cleaned myself and even longer since I had been home. 39 days. But who's counting? I take a sharpened rock and carve the 40th tally mark into a nearby tree, completing a set of 5.

I sigh to myself realizing how much my heart truly ached not seeing my mom, Bellamy, or anyone else. 40 days ago, I decided for myself, but I never considered how the people I loved would feel. I had pain, but so did they.

I had hoped that I would find solace in the solidarity and be able to return healed. When? I wasn't sure.

For now, I'd continue to survive.

Recently, I had been able to work on my combat skills and basic survival, but I couldn't sustain myself from berries and plants alone. I had heard of a woman who lived in Trikru territory named Niylah and over the past weeks we had traded. I would bring her an animal I'd killed, and she would provide me with resources and edible, consistent meals from my kills.

I make my way through the forest towards her cabin. It was small and bordering Azgeda territory, far enough from Polis to not be noticed, but still safely tucked in Trikru territory.

------------------------------

Lexa's POV-

I march through the halls of my tower, gliding with rage as I surge through crowds of people, separating them like the red sea as conversation ceases in my vicinity.

My eyes are focused in front of me, cutting through anyone and anything in my way as I force my way forwards. My black warpaint burns into my skin and shields me.

From behind me, a wake of servants and advisors trail, pacing themselves to keep up with my brisk pace to the throne room.

Echoes of the phrase, 'Heda' are spoken in whispers as I pass watching their heads bow down towards the ground.

I keep my chin towards the horizon and vision tunneled as I approach the tall double doors before me. Two guards bow their heads and open the doors in synchronicity.

"All rise." Titus announces as I enter the room.

The ceilings are easily several stories tall and a large metal chandelier sways well above our heads, supporting copious amounts of burning golden candles.

At Titus' instruction, the 12 delegates from each clan rise and bow as I enter, as well as Anya and Indra and a few other field commanders. All except one. The delegate from Ice Nation. Azgeda.

"bow fou bilaik Heda!" [Bow before your Commander!] Titus threatens to the Azgeda delegate, sparking the attention of everyone else in the room who look up with tense dispositions, in fear of what will happen.

The Azgeda delegate continues to stand. He holds his bearded head high, staring me down as I stand on the steps in front of my throne. I'm halfway turned as I watch the situation unfold, so as my armor trails behind me, spinning with me as I watch the man.

He is dressed in traditional Ice Nation attire. He wears white fur and light-colored clothing, as to traditionally blend in with the icy surroundings of his native land.