Chapter 34: I am No God. Never Claimed to Be.

The large metal doors come into view as my heart rate intensifies matching the war drums that play behind me.

The armies gather around the door, a part of our plan. The goal is to distract the mountain from Indra's team inside, freeing our people. We were merely a distraction. And a large one at that.

The air was still bitter and cold, and the earth is damp and dark beneath my boots.

Lexa began to shout orders in her language, as people dispersed and readied their weapons.

A faint alarm blared from speaker systems around the mountain, no doubt 10x louder on the inside. It was never meant to be heard from this side of the granite walls.

-----------------------------------

Octavia's POV-

We trudge through the dimly lit tunnels on a mission. I match Indra's footsteps with a focused accuracy. It was easier to look down than towards the war I was entering.

Our job was the most important. We were the rescue team.

In the distance, the soft grumble of Reapers becomes apparent. The smell of rotting flesh and blood stings my nostrils as we get closer to their feral shadows.

There must have been 40 of them but in the blink of an eye they were all but corpses. My long sword drips red blood and burns into my skim, imprinting on my soul. Darkening it. Deepening it. I fought tonight to keep my soul.

We were on a mission.

--------------------------------------

It had begun to rain outside and the warpaint most warriors wore had been streaking down their faces as if mimicking the Commander symbol.

The crack of a gun sounds from above, quickly followed by dozens more.

In a slow-motion sense (much like the night Wells was murdered), I watch as each individual rain drop embarks towards the hard earth. I see in slow motion each glowing metal bullet aimed towards the humans that surrounded me. I see Lexa expertly dodge the bullets, quickly surrounded by a crowd of large warriors with shields, blocking the guns aim from her.

She calls something in her language again and within seconds, I'm swarmed with men with shields as well.

When I can no longer see raindrops plundering towards the ground, and only the blackness of the world shielding me in a small bubble, life snaps back to real time.

I run towards Lexa and Lincoln, still shielded.

I hear Lexa telling Lincoln to shield her. She's going for the gunners.

It would be a suicide mission for anyone but her.

My heart gets trapped in my throat.

"No." I say with a fierce confidence.

Lexa's damp hair whips around to face me as Lincolns gaze becomes directed towards mine as well.

Lexa looks surprised to have someone counter her demands, but her rage disappears when she sees it's me.

"You can't go up there."

"What else would you suggest?"

"We all go."

Lexa moves her mouth as if she's immediately going to disagree but stops herself mid-breath, considering my plan.

She takes a deep breath and nods.

After, she un-kneels and stands tall and proud.

She screams in a heavy, raspy, and commanding voice something in her language and with an unprecedented pace, the thousands of men disperse towards the gunmen on the sides of the mountain.