Chapter 24: Hell is the High Road

(4 days later)

Day 9 trapped inside the mountain.

Jasper's POV-

Maya rests her head on my shoulder and our fingers interlace while she sleeps. I breathe in her dark curly hair, smelling a clean floral smell. Her breathing was deep and relaxed, and her eyes slightly twitched in her sleep. I figured she was probably dreaming.

I kiss the top of her head before slipping away into the hallway.

"Jasper!" Dr. Tsing exclaims.

"Hi." I sigh.

"This is perfect. I was just going to find you!"

I purse my lips and give a slight, annoyed nod.

"Follow me." She speaks.

We walk through the long hallways and down 2 flights of industrial stairs. She walks quickly setting an intense pace for me as I try and follow, ending up several steps behind her, even in tall heels. Her lap coat trails behind her, sitting on top of her tight black dress that rests just above her knee's. Dr. Tsing is fairly young, maybe in her early 30's. She's thin and her hair is long, dark, and curled. Her ethnicity seems to be old world Indian as they used to call it.

She takes me into the medical bay where I find several of my friends (possibly 30) unconscious and sleeping on hospital beds with IVs of blood flowing into a hole in the wall.

"What is this?!" I panic.

"They've decided they'd like to give blood." She responds dryly.

"Can I assume you will too?"

"I- um."

"They're fine. I promise." She reassures. I scan the room. They look peaceful and fine. Their vitals are being monitored on a screen and they look perfectly healthy, the opposite of the grounders who were forced to give blood.

So, this is it? The beginning of the end?

"I'll give blood."

---------------------------------

The past few days have been a blur, sun up to sun rise making plans, speaking to generals and Arkadia, and sleepless nights of stress wondering if our friends were ok.

The good news is that we'd spoken to Arkadia and made the decision for Bellamy to become our inside man. He would accompany Lincoln through the reaper tunnels and make his way inside that way.

Unfortunately, we weren't sure how he would be able to escape their cages after that or what went on behind those walls and through those tunnels, but Bellamy would be the best man for the job. There were still 8 days until we'd be ready, and, in the meantime, the Commander called on the armies of the 12 clans to meet in Ton DC, just far enough to avoid the acid fog, but the closest village to the mountain.

Soon, thousands more warriors would arrive, and we would have to be ready. We'd just have to be.

----------------------------------

"Finn?" I speak on the intercom. I'm standing our planning tent surrounded by Anya, Indra, Raven, Octavia, the Commander, and several other grounders. I hadn't seen Quint in days after he disappeared after threatening me. I knew better than to ask about him, though.

"Hey princess! Can't wait to see you. I'm riding in with Bellamy."

"Raven there?" He asks.

"I'm here you asshole." She sings.

"There's the Raven I know and love."

"If you really loved me, you wouldn't have put your dick inside Clarke." She grabs the radio and curses him. It leaves a very uncomfortable tension in the air. My cheeks immediately flush in embarrassment as I rip the radio back from Raven, shoving her as I do, although not enough that she'd think I'm anything more than pissed. I refrain from making eye contact with anyone for the next hour.