Chapter 31: Old Money Poor

Bellamy's POV-

It's the next morning, the day before the army marches on Mount Weather and I have one final job. I must free the caged army.

I slip through the backrooms and underground tunnels to get to the large, caged room. I see the green glow of death under a large metal door so with a large push, it opens.

I sneak behind the large racks of cages and equipment, careful to stay out of sight from Dr. Tsing and the other guards. I watch them for what feels like hours and what I see disgusts me.

Dr. Tsing consults with Cage Wallis and examines the lifeless, hanging bodies of the grounders who had been alive only the day before.

"We're getting less and less samples out of each patient." She admits.

Cage sighs and turns away, examining a vial of grounder blood.

"How have the bone marrow transplants been going from the kids from the Ark?" He asks.

"Well. We've had 4 patients so far- Harper MacIntyre, Rhea Halloway, Daniel Forline, and Frances Jameson. Only Harper and Daniel survived."

"I see."

"Is it worth it?" A guard chimes in.

"Are you asking if its working?" Cage responds.

"Yes sir."

"Come see for yourself." Cage says with a smile, gesturing for the young man to walk over to a screen on a wall.

He plays the excruciating video of Harper being drilled for her bone marrow, then it cuts to show it being transplanted to a young girl. She couldn't have been older than I was.

The timestamp says it's from yesterday afternoon. She leaves through a large metal door on the earth's surface and joy overtakes her. She's smiling from ear to ear, rolling in the tall grass filled with colorful flowers. I genuinely hadn't seen that type of joy since we first landed on earth from the drop ship.

I almost smile watching her dance in the sunny field. Almost. I snap out of my trance before I forget my mission.

I watch as the trio leaves the room. I'm finally alone.

Quickly, I jump up from my hiding spot and begin to unlock cages.

Grounders bang on metal and plead for theirs to be next. Some look utterly defeated, and don't even try to look towards me, knowing they wouldn't survive the journey home.

I've opened just over a dozen before I hear the click of a trigger. 'Bang'

I fall to the floor in a pool of my own blood feeling as the life drains from my body through a small bullet hole in my stomach.

Ouch.

----------------------------------------

Clarke's POV-

Its midmorning and I reluctantly walk towards Lexa's tent where she's 'summoned me.' I walk slowly, trying to minimize the time I have to spend with her. The last time we talked the day before I gave her an ultimatum. Trust me or lose my trust.

"You sent for me?" I say, walking freely into her tent.

The Commander is in her full armor and warpaint and is reading a scroll of parchment in her hands.

Her body is still turned away from me when she glances in my direction.

"Yes."

"Octavia has nothing to fear from me." She speaks. My shoulders immediately drop, and I can breathe again.