Chapter 6: God Prays Too

It's been hours since Anya last spoke to us. The ground feels harder than ever and if I don't drink water soon, I don't think I'll survive.

Finn had just recently woken up and was much too tired to try and hold a conversation.

Just when I was beginning to give up hope on the thought of food and water, the tent flap opens gently revealing a large warrior. He is bald but very young. His skin is dark tanned, and his body is chiseled so much so that he resembles a Greek god. His arms are easily the size of a watermelon, and his abs could cut stone. I flinch at the thought of what he was about to do to hurt us.

Unexpectedly, he reveals two cups of water and food. He holds the cup to my chin first to help me drink from it. I hesitantly press my lips to the cup and finish the water quickly. He then pulls out the food and begins to feed me as I hungrily accept.

Then, he manages to do the same for Finn and I take this time to question him.

"Why are you helping us?"

The warrior remains silent and takes out more water for us to drink.

"Did Anya tell you to do this?"

He shakes his head.

"What's your name?" I continue to inquire.

He looks up at me again. His eyes are kind, much like his gesture.

"Lincoln."

"I'm Clarke."

He nods his head.

"And that's Finn."

Finn makes a lowly noise that emphasizes the amount of pain he's still in.

Lincoln takes a wet cloth and carefully dabs his wounds, cleaning them.

"Why are you helping us?" I repeat.

"I think what Anya is doing is wrong, and I think what the Commander will do to you will be worse."

"We need to leave and go back to our people. Can you help us?"

Lincoln looks up from Finn and glances off and around the tent. After some contemplation and thought he nods.

"I can help you leave. You'll have to escape on foot, and you have a ways to travel."

"Your camp is only 11 miles South of here so you can make it in about 5 hours if you walk." He pauses to look back at Finn.

"Actually, about a day without much rest." He corrects himself based on their injuries.

Lincoln hands me 2 canteens full of water and a pouch full of berries before untying both of us.

"Stay here." He instructs as he slips outside to make sure no one is nearby.

I take this time to help Finn up, lifting him off the ground and placing his weight on my body.

Lincolns comes back inside.

"You have about 2 hours to get away before Anya comes back. She was planning on killing him and taking you to our capitol to meet our Commander tonight. You must go now and be careful not to leave a trail. Walk light and quickly, and hide well if you stop."

"Thank you."

"One last thing. It's easy to get lost, especially since you're new to the earth. Stay south." He reminds.

I take one last look at the kind warrior before slipping out the side of the tent and into the woods with Finn.

--------------------------------