Chapter 15: When You Call my Name

I awake to the sound of greetings and heavy hoofbeats on the dirt as I realize the large group has returned to camp. I peek my head out the tent flaps and am immediately blocked by the two guards outside of the opening.

Rolling my eyes, I take a step back, only to amuse my curiosity. Around my tent, thousands of warrior's drink and celebrate and the smoke of bonfires clouds the crisp air.

Normally, the sky is clear and I can look towards the stars for comfort, but tonight there seems to be a dark cloud pushing its way into view. A sharp wind blows the trees around camp, making the bright orange flames dance in the wind.

I feel completely relaxed as I have slept the entire day in my new tent and have finally slept in a real bed for the first time in weeks.

My clean, long, blond hair lies on my new clothing. And although I am the enemy- the prisoner- I finally feel safe tonight.

Marching through the crowd, I watch the Commander. This time, she wears her armor, although not her warpaint or hairstyle. My feelings of comfort immediately disappear.

She confidently strides through the crowds of men. Her eyes are trained on the horizon and her stance is tall and proud. Her hand comfortably rests on her weapon and her red sash trails in the blowing wind. Her eyes are cold, but her skin looks warm in the glowing fire.

I wonder where she's going. This camp is huge and must have hundreds of large tents. Most tents have 10-12 warriors resting in them. There is a large tent for healing and of course, the Commander's throne room where I spoke to her before I was a prisoner.

Behind the Heda, Anya, Gustus, and Indra follow closely, continuing to walk as the Commander diverges from the group. She makes her way to the side and enters the huge tent that is next to mine.

Anya, Indra, and Gustus all diverge into similar tents to mine but they're further in the distance.

The spectacle has ended, and I sigh in boredom and close the tent flaps, flopping back down onto my bed again.

----------------------

Octavia's POV-

The ride was long and hard on my body, but it was all immediately worth it when I see the flowers in the distance.

Lincoln had told me that I'd find him once I follow the trail of red and white lilies he had hidden in the forest.

Eagerly, I tied my horse to a tree and began to collect the flowers.

Some were placed on tree branches, others clearly displayed on rocks or logs.

By the time I reached the end of the trail, I had collected a small bouquet of lilies and found a small, hidden cave that was camoflauged by a large tree.

Slowly, I lowered myself down into the cave. I felt slightly uneasy dropping down into the darkness under the ground. Under the floor. I had been hidden away under the floor my entire life. It was easy to forget when the earth became my new home, but now it all came flooding back to me.

The way my mother and Bellamy would panic. The sound of their rumbling stomachs and the food they sacrificed to keep me fed. The sound of my breath and heartbeat echoing in the small space during room inspection.

I feel a warm tap on my shoulder as I spin around, my fear draining from my thoughts. Lincoln hugs me tightly before pulling away.

"How'd you get here? I thought you all left."

"I borrowed a horse from your people." I smirk, biting my lip seductively.

"Of course, you did." He laughs, pulling me into a kiss.