Chapter 32: On Death's Bed

Jasper's POV-

The metal chain rubs violently on my thin wrists, chaffing away at the softness of my skin. My friends around me cling to the walls, desperate to get far away from Dr. Tsing and her medical table.

She has laid out several shiny silver instruments and hooked up a large machine to several wires.

Eventually she stands up and her heels click delicately on the concrete floor like the sound an old clock makes, only ticking away at our life spans.

Her long dark hair sways back and forth as she scans each of us searching for her next victim.

Her eyes finally land on the same young boy she had taken the day before. His name was Daniel, and he was pale with pain and fear. He was hunched over in the corner, not able to stand on his wounded legs.

"Might as well finish him off." Cage says, stepping into the room.

Some guards rip Daniel from his chains and carry him over to the sterile table as he sobs, pleading for mercy. Only, there is no god here. Not below the surface where the light doesn't shine.

He's tied up again and the unholy sound of whirring rings in the atmosphere, echoing through everyone's ears. His screams drown out the whirring and only stop when his body lays untroubled. His skin pales against the vibrant blood and his eyes dim. His legs no longer tense under the doctor's cold knife and his chest sits still.

The 38 of us silently let tears slip down our trembling cheeks, hesitant to make a noise not wanting to attract unwanted attention.

"What is this?!" A mans voice calls from the doorway.

Dante Wallis steps through the doorframe, appalled at the sight of splattered blood across his sons face as Dr. Tsing holds 3 measly vials of bone marrow to account for the young boy's death.

"Dad!" Cage says surprised.

"WHAT IS THIS!? ANSWER ME BOY!!" He screams.

His wrinkled forehead turns red with anger.

"This is how we get to the surface." Cage tells him hesitantly. He truly looks afraid of his father.

"THIS IS MURDER!!!!"

Cage takes a deep breath and turns to Dr. Tsing for support. She nods her head, and he looks back to his father.

"I'm doing this for you too." He whispers and nods, looking sorry.

Before I can blink, Dante Wallis has been knocked out and moved to a clean medical table.

"Do it." Cage orders.

Carefully, Dr. Tsing takes a vial of Daniels bone marrow and empties it into a syringe.

As we all watch, she pumps the syringe into Dante's arm.

No one speaks for a few minutes as she begins to clean up the bloody mess, not bothering to clean the drill before she moves her attention to her next victim.

"That one."

----------------------------------

Raven's POV-

I expertly send jolts of high voltage electricity through jumper cables I had brought, opening a small metal trapdoor on the side of the dam.

When the door swings open, I watch Anya's face light up with admiration.

"Impressed?" I smirk.

"No. C'mon." She responds dryly, diving through the hole.

I huff and follow her in.