Chapter 12: Sixty and a Half Bottles on the Wall

I wake up to the sound of hushed speaking. I keep my eyes closed, trying to listen. When I realize I can't understand the language the grounders are speaking in, I flutter my eyes open.

It's still dark outside but I have no idea if the sun is about to rise, or if it's just minutes after I've fallen asleep.

Slightly turning my heavy head, I see the dark-skinned leader talking to the Commander. They're both still dressed the same as they had been the last night and the Commanders hand rests comfortably on her weapons handle. They talk in hushed tones, but it appears to be important.

"12 miles south west kom em. trees raun em are ona faya en ship seems bilaik hashta 100 times size kom dison. Anya told yumi dei de der were mous 1,200 kru raun brana ship. adults. gon. Technology."

[Its landed 12 miles southwest of here. The trees around it have caught fire and it seems to be about 100 times the size of this ship. Anya warned us that there were roughly 1,200 people on this new ship called the Ark. It's the adults, weapons, and technology.]

"chof, Indra." [Thank you, Indra.] The Commander responds to the woman. Her name must be Indra.

The Commander has her back turned to me, blocking Indra's face from my view. The Commander looks slightly stressed, leaning over her table arms spread apart.

Her warpaint was smudged probably from touching her face. Her hair was the same, but her braids were a bit messier.

I shuffle my legs on the dirt floor and the Commander whips her body around, clutching her dagger.

"Commander." I mutter with whatever respect and dignity I had left.

"Clarke." She returns. She says my name with a strange click of the K- annunciating it well.

"Indra, ban op yumi." [Indra, leave us.]

Indra bows her head respectfully, gives me a death glare, and excuses herself out of the tent.

The Commander turns back around, examining her dagger. Her back is to me again and the small tent remains quiet.

"What time is it?"

"You fell asleep about 2 hours ago." She responds softly.

"Were you watching me?" I ask, confused as to why she would know that. Why wasn't she asleep? It would have to be about 2 am.

"No." She snaps back.

She finally turns back around to face me. She looks much more exhausted than I initially thought.

"Tell me everything you know about the Ark and the people on it."

I begin my story, telling her all about my family, friends, and the oxygen situation. I end it saying how the Ark is coming down in 3 days.

"Lies!" She grits her teeth, seething in anger.

"They just crashed an hour ago." She growls, taking her dagger to my chin, tilting my head up towards her.

"They're here?!" I implore, hope in my eyes.

"Yes."

"I need to go to them. My mom is on that ship." I immediately regret my words.

The Commander looks amused, surprised that I would admit that so candidly.

"Your mother?"

I keep my lips closed before I give her any more information I'll regret.

"SPEAK!!" She demands, ripping me from the ground with her strong arms. She's inches from my face, her nostrils flare and her jaw is clenched. I can now notice her bloodshot, tired eyes and I almost feel bad. Almost.