Chapter 62: Do it Right

Clarke's POV-

Though the room's tension was insurmountable, it slowly died away the more drinks we all had. My mother had half of her glass of wine. Lexa drank only her water- a habit of war no doubt. She was always on high alert in 'enemy' territory.

Now that I'm really looking, Anya, Gustus, and all the rest of the grounders didn't drink either. Still, the Arcadians are several bottles in, and the conversation has only grown more and more lively. I was on my 3rd glass of wine.

Throughout the dinner, Lexa had sent me a smirk while Anya fired a disapproving glare with each sip I took.

"Thank you for this lovely dinner, Chancellor Griffin." The Commander states, standing up to initiate the end of the night.

I love when Lexa speaks because it gives me an excuse to stare at her.

My mom and Kane immediately stand as well in response.

"It was our pleasure."

"Please let us show you to your rooms." Abby insists.

Altogether, the grounders file out of the room. My mom and Kane guide them, diverging them one by one into their own rooms. Raven and I both trail behind the group.

All who are left are Anya and the Commander, no doubt saving the grandest rooms for last.

We arrive to Anya's room. She gives a solemn nod to Kane as he holds the door open for her. It clicks shut but not before she makes eye contact with Raven.

Now, it's just my mom, Kane, Lexa, and me in the hallway. Raven lingered behind. I can only assume she'll slip into Anya's room as soon as the hallway becomes empty. I smirk to myself for knowing their secret. It was hot, after all, a grounder, and a sky person.

Lexa turns her head just a few inches to the right as we walk. She sees me and feels my presence in her periphery.

"Ah. Here we are, Commander. I hope everything is to your liking. If you need anything at all, Abby, Clarke, or I can help." Kane says with an exaggerated grin plastered across his bearded face.

"Thank you, Marcus." She replies. He had insisted she call him that once he was 2 drinks in.

He and my mother nod back to her. Before she turns to look at me.

I nod too, mimicking my mom and Kane.

I must admit, I'm a bit tipsy. In the best way possible. Meaning, my intoxicated brain is telling me I need Lexa tonight. Her metal door is reeling me in. But I strengthen my willpower and relent. Turning away, I go back to my room.

On the way to the prison station earlier in the night, I pointed out the location of my room to Lexa. With her expert tracking and navigating skills, I'm sure that if she wanted to find me, she would.

----------------------------------

Clarke's POV- continued

The glasses of wine are still making my head pound. I've finally finished brushing my teeth, combing through my long blond hair, and I'm ready to slip into my sheets that've been untouched for weeks.

I let my head hit the cool pillowcase when an almost silent knock on my door is heard. It's almost 2 in the morning at this point, as dinner lasted until midnight.

I creep across the concrete floors with an urgent speed to decrease the chill on my feet.

Parting the heavy door, I see Lexa. Her hair is still intricately braided, but her warpaint and weapons have been discarded. Now, she wears a long sleeve shirt and more comfortable looking pants. I assume since she's in 'enemy' territory, she'll remain this way. No more silk nightgowns and wavy hair for the remainder of this journey. In internally sigh.