Chapter 21: Medicine is the Only Cure

I have the idea to open the door as the Pauna hits it, pushing her inside to get passed her.

I grab Lexa's healthy arm, instead of explaining it to her. I push her against the wall next to me as I grip her sword that I had wedged as a door block.

I take the sword and hand it back to Lexa just in time for the Pauna to come hurdling through the door, not suspecting it to be open. I pull Lexa through the door again, shutting it firmly this time from the outside where it truly locks.

We hear the beast growl, but sigh in relief knowing that we are finally safe.

"Thank you." She tells me once we are away from the cage.

I smile at her, easing her ruthless demeanor for a second.

"We should head back to camp."

"Indra has probably sent scouts looking for us by now."

"Yeah."

We set off walking through the dark, dense forest in silence once again.

----------------------------

"Arkadia. What do you think?" Bellamy turns to the council, examining their expressions proudly.

"I love it." Kane sings.

"It's perfect." Abby adds.

"We'll announce it tomorrow. It's a great name for our new home." He smiles warmly to Bellamy.

The council clears out, leaving Bellamy and Kane alone.

"What else is on your mind, son?"

"Everything here has been going so smoothly."

"And?"

"And Octavia is in danger. She's traveling with an army of grounders- who we were fighting just a few weeks ago- in preparation to go to war with the enemy they couldn't even beat. She's on the frontlines and I'm not there with her."

Kane sighs, putting his arm on Bellamy's shoulder.

"Your sister was going to fight either way. I've seen her spirit. She's in no greater protection than with the leaders. Trust me. She's strong. Like you."

"We will get her back and we will get the ones in Mount Weather back too. Have faith." Kane concludes.

"Thank you, sir."

"Marcus." Kane says.

"Thank you, Marcus."

-------------------------------

We finally approach the smoke of our large campfire as tents and warriors come into view.

Indra immediately runs to us, fixating on the Commander's hurt arm.

"What happened? You were gone hours."

"Pauna." Lexa's voice is raspy and tired.

"You're hurt." She clings to Lexa like a mother would. It's sweet in a way.

Anya approaches us, glaring at me.

"What has the sky girl done now?" She hisses.

"Nothing, Anya." The Commander affirms, giving Anya a deathly glare telling her to be quiet.

"Where are Raven and Octavia?" I ask.

"Asleep." Anya answers.

I nod.

I look away and from the corner of my eye I see Lexa nod to Indra and Anya instructing them to leave us with a simple eye movement. They whisper, "Heda," and walk away.