SEVENTY-EIGHT

STORYBROOKE

Juliet wasn't sure how she had gotten here. Or how long it had been since the town was engulfed in the magic fog. All she knew was she woke up the previous morning in her bed as if nothing had happened. Only there was a gap in her memories. 

Juliet pushed the covers back and stood up. She quickly got changed and headed downstairs. Not seeing Regina around the house, she decided to go around town to see if there was any news about why they were in Storybrooke. 

As Juliet wandered through the streets of Storybrooke, she saw confused faces from everyone. Something was definitely up, but she could find out the answer to that question later.  

After a while, she spotted Regina near Granny's. "Regina!" She called out, and sprinted toward the diner. 

"Hi Juliet. I was just going to get a coffee, want to join me?" Juliet nodded, and they walked toward Granny's. She opened the door to the diner, and the two walked in. Immediately, she dropped the glass she was holding. Juliet followed her gaze and gasped. 

Sitting at the booth closest to the door was Henry, along with Emma, Mary Margaret, and David. Henry looked very confused. It took Juliet a minute to remember that Henry had no idea who they were.

"Oh." It seemed Regina remembered that as well. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you." Henry nodded.

"Oh, um, that's okay." Emma stood up and walked over to them.

"Regina, we need to talk. Come on." She walked into the next room with Regina. Juliet decided to follow them. As soon as they were out of Henry's line of sight, Regina's breaths started to quicken.

"He looked right through me." She whispered. Emma sighed.

"Because he doesn't remember you." Regina frowned.

"But you clearly do. Why are you here?" She asked. 

"Storybrooke. A new curse. Missing year. Why do you think?" Juliet's eyes widened. A year? Regina shook her head. 

"No, what I mean is how did you know to come back? I gave you and Henry a new life. New memories." Emma nodded.

"Hook found me. Gave me a potion that made me remember. There wasn't enough for Henry." Regina scoffed.

"Oh, how convenient." She sighed. "Look, I didn't cast this curse if that's what you're thinking." 

"The thought did cross my mind." Emma remarked. 

"Why would I do this?" Regina asked. "Why would I erase an entire year of my life?" Emma shrugged.

"Maybe it was a bad year for you. Maybe this curse was your way of getting me to bring Henry back here." Regina shook her head.

"With no memory of me? If I wanted my son back, do you think I'd put myself through this kind of torture? I cast curses to hurt other people. Not myself." Juliet looked over at Regina. 

"Maybe so." Emma responded. "But I need to start crossing people off the list."

"How?" Regina asked. "By walking around and using your superpower on everyone?" 

"You got a better idea?" Regina looked at the ground. 

Later in the day, Emma assembled everyone into the town hall. Juliet stood in the back, looking around to see if anyone looked suspicious. 

"Everyone! Everyone!" Emma got everyone's attention. "I know that you're frightened and confused, but I need you to listen." 

"Is it true?" Archie spoke up. "Is there some kind of monster keeping us from leaving town?"

"Is that what happened to my brothers?" Leroy added. Emma nodded.

"Yes. We believe that people are being abducted as they approach the town line." Juliet noticed Regina walking into the building and standing right next to her. 

"So we're trapped here? Again?" Granny asked, clearly annoyed. Emma sighed.

"It's no different than last time." Leroy folded his arms.

"Last time we lost our memories. This time we get dragged into the woods." Belle stood up, looking at Emma.

"Do you know who cursed us? And why they want us here?" Emma shook her head.

"I'm working on it. But it's hard to figure out who cast a curse when no one remembers the last year." Leroy scoffed.

"Who? Isn't it obvious?" He stood up.

"Do you remember something?" Emma asked, and Leroy turned to face Regina.

"Who cast the last curse? Who knows how to use it? Who's the only one who ever did anything like this before?" The whole town turned to look at Regina. "The Evil Queen!" Juliet rolled her eyes. Blame Regina. Typical. 

"For once, I am just as clueless as the rest of you."

"You expect us to believe that?" Whale asked. Regina nodded.

"It's the truth." Granny shook her head.

"This curse has your fingerprints all over it." 

"And you did take away our memories once before." Belle commented. 

"You still have your big house." Granny added, and Regina scoffed. 

"You think I care about my house? About my job? About any of these things?" Archie sighed.

"Regina, please, just tell us the truth. We'll understand." 

"Speak for yourself." Granny remarked. Juliet shot her a glare. 

"I am telling the truth." Regina repeated, walking towards the crowd. "If I had done this, there's one thing I'd have right now. My son." Emma put her hands on her hips.

"Yeah, you're not getting anywhere near him until I get to the bottom of what's going on here." Regina frowned, looking hurt by Emma's comment.

"So now you're siding with the rabble? I thought we'd been through this. I'm innocent." Emma shook her head.

"Yes. That's what you said before. But now I'm wondering if I believe you." The crowd started to advance on Regina.

"Don't come any closer." She warned them. "Do you remember who you're dealing with? If you all want me to be the Evil Queen, then fine. That's exactly who you'll get." She pushed her hands out, and an earthquake rippled through the town hall. She then immediately disappeared into purple smoke. 

"I knew she did it." Leroy shouted.

"We can't let her get away with this." Whale argued. Emma sighed, walking towards the exit. 

"I won't." She looked at Juliet. "And you're coming with me." Juliet sighed, following her out the doors.